Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Custom aluminum plate fabrication

i might need some custom work done as i get into the optic phase of my new build if you can help

Please provide a drawing and I'll see what I can do.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by turbohead View Post
    Please provide a drawing and I'll see what I can do.
    how big of a plate can you work?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

It depends on how accurately you need the location of the features on the plate.

For example, if you just need threaded holes placed within +/- .015 of positional location, I can accurately layout the location of the holes (using a surface plate and digital height gauge). I would then drill and tap the threaded holes with a drill press. In this case, the size of the plate is not limited by the envelop of the machine. Slotted holes on the mating part alleviates the requirement (and cost) for very accurately located features on the plate.

There is also a way to place tooling holes in the plate which allows me to re-position the plate on the machine and essentially increase the envelop of my milling machine for accurate (+/- .003 positional location).

If you can provide a drawing, I can provide a reasonable quote (non-production machine shop with hourly workers and overhead costs to cover).

Keep in mind, I don't do this for a living. I am just offering this service to hobbyist. If the job gets complicated and begins to interfere with my own projects (which I have many in queue), I'll probably respectfully decline the job.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

sure. i'll make a drawing, but very basically i need something roughly 36"x13" with some 2" notches cut along one side, two of the corners, and some mounting holes along the edges.

i can do all the internal drilling and tapping.

Quote Originally Posted by turbohead View Post
    It depends on how accurately you need the location of the features on the plate.

For example, if you just need threaded holes placed within +/- .015 of positional location, I can accurately layout the location of the holes (using a surface plate and digital height gauge). I would then drill and tap the threaded holes with a drill press. In this case, the size of the plate is not limited by the envelop of the machine. Slotted holes on the mating part alleviates the requirement (and cost) for very accurately located features on the plate.

There is also a way to place tooling holes in the plate which allows me to re-position the plate on the machine and essentially increase the envelop of my milling machine for accurate (+/- .003 positional location).

If you can provide a drawing, I can provide a reasonable quote (non-production machine shop with hourly workers and overhead costs to cover).

Keep in mind, I don't do this for a living. I am just offering this service to hobbyist. If the job gets complicated and begins to interfere with my own projects (which I have many in queue), I'll probably respectfully decline the job.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    roughly 36"x13" with some 2" notches cut along one side,
    Yes, that is within the scope of my milling machine.