Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom aluminum plate fabrication

Default Custom aluminum plate fabrication

Hello everyone,
    I'm trying to replace a DPSS lasever module with a smaller multi-mode diode. The difference in beam height is about 10mm. So I need a mounting plate to mount the new diode on to raise it to the same height as the old module, but also fit the same mounting holes in the baseplate. See the images below. What's the best way to get something like this fabricated? I used an online design tool to create the images below, and the quote to produce quantity of 1 is $70 for 6061 aluminum. I was hoping for something less expensive, if possible, so I'm open to suggestions or other ideas. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plate2-3d1.jpg  

plate2-3d2.jpg  

plate2-3d3.jpg  

By the way,it's meant to replicate the bottom of this DPSS module.

40mm widex 100mm long and about 10mm thick.

And the second photo are the two modules, you can see the difference in beam height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4023 (Medium).JPG  

IMG_4024 (Medium).JPG  

Last edited by HankLloydRight; 10-12-2015 at 13:35.

Is the difference in beam height exactly 10 mm? What is the diameter and thread pitch of the fasterners that hold the module to the base plate?

Why not just find a round spacer with the desired height like these?

https://www.aluminumspacers.com/

You can reduce the height of the spacer by getting one somewhat longer and then file it to the desired height.

Quote Originally Posted by turbohead View Post
    Is the difference in beam height exactly 10 mm? What is the diameter and thread pitch of the fasterners that hold the module to the base plate?

Why not just find a round spacer with the desired height like these?

https://www.aluminumspacers.com/

You can reduce the height of the spacer by getting one somewhat longer and then file it to the desired height.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm measuring the beam height of each module as the center point of the lens to the bottom of the module. It's about a 10mm difference.

The photo above of both modules is a little deceiving. The diode laser module has a significantly smaller footprint than the DPSS module. The holes in the projector baseplate are only for mounting the larger DPSS (the four slots in each corner). The diode only has four small threaded holes on the bottom, not anywhere near the corners or similar to the DPSS footplate. Since I want to re-use the same four holes in the main baseplate AND raise up the height of the diode about 10mm, I'm not seeing how these round spacers would work. If the two modules had the same footprint but different heights, then I could see it.

I just found a place cut2sizemetals that will cut a plate for $25 not including the tab cutouts.

ugh,.. it's $20 to ship it!!!

If you send me the drawing with all of the dimensions, I can fabricate the plate for you for $25, which includes the aluminum plate, plus shipping. If the plate fits in a small flat rate box, shipping in the domestic US will be $5.55.

I have a milling machine in my garage and this type of fabrication is not difficult.

For reference, I machined an alignment plug for another PL member:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...=alignment+jig

What are the overall length, width and thickness of the plate?

Cool- that would be awesome! thanks! It's very small.

100mm long, 40mm wide, 10mm thick. Or about 3-15/16"x 1-9/16" Inches and 3/8" thick.

Let me finalize the dimensions tomorrow and I'll send them to you, but the above dimensions are very close.

Ok, I triple checked the dimensions and they are as I posted before.

100mm long. 40mm wide. 10mm high.

The slots for mounting screws on the corners are 5mm in from the long edge, 4mm wide and 5mm deep (before the curve of the mounting hole). There's a photo below of the 2D outline I created which is a near-perfect match to the footprint of the DPSS laser.

Also, there are some extra pics to show the difference in size between the two lasers and why I need a mounting plate.

Do you need anything else? Can I pay you via paypal? Thanks!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4049.JPG  

IMG_4046.JPG  

IMG_4047.JPG  

diodebase.png  

Last edited by HankLloydRight; 10-13-2015 at 10:03.

Is this correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adapter Plate.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	48643

I'll PM you with my PayPal address.

Please see the plate with revised 6mm dimension and the addition of the mounting holes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adapter Plate.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	48645