Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ust bought first laser projector. trying to figure it out help!

This lp does what it says, but I don't know whats more abysmal, the soft that came with it or the instructions for the unit. The chinese to english translation is horrific

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaDan View Post
    Is there a good place on this forum to study up on this subject and not get too confused too fast?
    Not really. Most people tend to skip the SD card/show card stage and go straight to a computer controlled DAC. They have become pretty affordable over the past years. There are a couple options depending on your budget and the time you want to invest. There are a couple threads on this forum detailing the various hard- and software available.

Dan. If you're in the US, using you projector in a public place brings into play a whole heap of legislation! Make sure you are aware of what applies to you and what doesn't before the wedding gig or you may find yourself in a heap of buthurt!
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Thanks for the tips guys. Is there a site I can go to or I guess the question is who is the governing body that issues licenses in the us? I would say that would be the place to start. I'm sure there are associations you have to belong to and pay dues to have licenses. There is for everything you do these days.

Dan, I think your biggest problem is that your projector may not be varianced for use in the USA. That renders it's use for public displays illegal. It's possible to variance a projector yourself, but it can be a long process and as someone on the other side of the pond, I couldn't advise. Best talk to the US guys.

It's just a pity you didn't post on here before buying as Able Laser produce projectors that are both high quality and varianced and not hugely expensive. Another favourite company on here is Eightonlight, although I'm unsure if their projectors are varianced or not. I'm not sure what your budget was so it maybe that the latter projectors were outside of it. However, using cheap projectors in the US is much more difficult than in Europe where the regulations are much more relaxed.

Good luck with getting everything sorted though. I hope it all works out for you in the end.

I'd be interested in checking that out, actually. After more research I would definitely consider getting a better projector. This was entry level, of course, and like like most things entry level when you find out what can be done in this medium, and what you can't do with your equipment you end up shelling out the bucks on what you needed in the first place. I purchased Lasershowgen. It seems quite simple yet powerful. Thanks for the tip. As I get more time under my belt, I'm getting more excited about what can be done. I can't wait to start working on light shows after I get the right lasers. I just hope my newbdom is countered a little by my electronics background.
    "To err is human, but when the eraser runs out before the pencil you're overdoing it a bit."

Ok so I found this on the laws in the US. They are pretty strict. The ILDA (International Laser Display Association) has links to all the forms you need here: http://www.laserist.org/us-import-law.htm It looks like the FDA is who issues the variance. I have a hell of alot more research to do but I'll figure it out and hopefully mine out some good info for other beginners in the US.
    "To err is human, but when the eraser runs out before the pencil you're overdoing it a bit."

I think all the info you need is on here with a bit of digging Dan. Wiki may be a good place to start... I'm very surprised no one local to you has chimed in yet to be honest! :confused
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

+1 to what Wookie says.

Also be aware, you can't audience scan in the US (shine the laser in a direction where it goes directly into the crowd ie people's eyes) without a special licence. It's dangerous to do in any event without the right knowledge but near impossible to do legally in the US even if you know how to do it safely.

Your options for legal audience scanning are narrow - fat beam laser of certain restricted low power or emulaser (video projector used to simulate a laser) or get an audience scanning variance (near impossible). Otherwise anything you do in the US has to be overhead in compliance with ILDA regs relating to overhead shows. Outside beware FAA regulations.

There are several laserists in Michigan, including at least one that I know of that currently holds not only a laser light show variance, but a varaince that allows audience scanning! Unfortunately Chad (fogman) is quite busy at the moment and hasn't been on PhotonLexicon in a while. John Murphy is also busy building his tesla coil, and both DocJohn and CDBeam have been away from PL for some time now. I think it's just bad timing...

That being said, what NinjaDan has discovered on the ILDA website is true: there are a lot of hoops one must jump through in order to legally perform laser shows here in the USA. And if one plans to perform audience-scanning shows, the requirements are so strict that only a select few companies have been able to get approval for this. These rules are there for a reason, however, and disregarding them can carry serious consequences. (More on this later.)

You need to start by purchasing a certified laser projector. Unfortunately, the Effect II from Chinavision is not compliant. It is, in fact, the very definition of an illegal projector. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

In addition to buying a certified projector, any would-be laserist will also need a laser light show variance from the CDRH. This isn't all that difficult to get, but you absolutely *MUST* have one before you do any commercial laser shows. Otherwise you are opening yourself up to legal action, both from the government *AND* from your clients. While getting a cease and desist letter from the US FDA (or worse, a fine, or having your gear confiscated) is bad enough, the civil liability is actually a lot scarier. Here's why:

Performing a laser light show without a variance is defacto proof of gross negligence, which opens you up to just about unlimited liability. Even if your lasers didn't actually cause any injury, if someone *CLAIMS* that they suffered an injury from your projector and decides to sue you, during the discovery phase of the lawsuit it will come to light that you don't have your variance and were not using a certified projector. This will pretty much sink any chance you have of defending yourself. Note that such a lawsuit can be brought by anyone who was at the event, not just the person who hired you. You could lose your house this way. Seriously.

To NinjaDan, I would suggest that you stop using your Effect II laser in public. Then decide if adding lasers to your DJ business is really important to you or not. If it is important, and you are willing (and able) to devote the time and money needed to do this legally, then there are lots of resources here on PhotonLexicon that can help you get to where you want to be. But this is not a decision to be made lightly. We aren't kidding when we say that this is a money-pit hobby! Lasers are expensive, and so is everything else associated with them. But you can also create some amazing effects with the right equipment...

So, do you really want to do this? If so, strap in and we will help you get started. But you'll need to abandon all hope of future financial solvency!

Adam