Thread: Where to get documentation on show cards feeding galvanometers?

Default Where to get documentation on show cards feeding galvanometers?

I will shortly get a set containing show card+controllers+galvos. Its an ebay item so I am sure there won't be any manual with it.
    I want to be ready with knowledge on how to use it once the set arrives. For instance what is this show card and can it get data from a PC via USB?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251636577405
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser galvos.JPG  

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

A show card is a little control board with a microchip on it with a couple preprogrammed effects. Usually these effects can be controlled with a microphone and/or DMX signals. There are some where you can put your own SD card in it with your own effects. It does not provide a way to connect to your computer.

If you want computer control you will need a DAC. A DAC has a couple of outputs that you can plug directly into the inputs of your scanner amps and laser drivers. Price varies between $150 and $600, with or without software.

I hate to break it to you, but these scanners claim 30K, if you read the specs this is at 5 degrees.... These will be 15k scanners in real speak. The SMPSU looks really small too, so replacing that with a decent unit with more power will help. The +/-15V rails speak volumes.

Your looking at +/-24V for a decent 30k scan set. I am not suggesting these Galvos / amps will operate at 24V.... But the PSU may struggle on complex scan jobs.

But hey, at under a hundred bucks that's what you get. For that money, these builds have cut corners at a very turn... Electronics, mechanicals Inc. bearings, and optics (scan mirrors).

If McDonald's sold scan sets, this is what they would look like. Enjoy you bacon double cheese McCookie.
    This space for rent.

The showcard will also be the place to hook up most of the internals in the projector.
    All the modulation signal for the different colored lasermodules, The ILDA IN and OUT signal, the DMX, Microphone, and the potmeter for the sensitivety of sound. I`m not quite shure the card shown in the picture have the SDCard option, but for shure, there are no SDcard reader in the packet.

Be aware that all the wires that comes with the set are stiff an fragile. If you can make new ones out of better quality wires, do so. It will save you trouble later. (Speaking out of experience)

For the dough, these might do for some beamshows, but do`t have high hopes for graphics.

You have not written anything about what source of light you plan to use, but stay safe. All Lasers, regardless of power must be considered dangerous.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by Datsurb View Post
    The ILDA IN and OUT signal,
    Not all show cards have ilda in and out but if it does it makes your life a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Not all show cards have ilda in and out but if it does it makes your life a lot easier.
    In this case, the picture and specs says DB25 M/F included.

I`m quit shure something like theese scanners are inside one of my builds. Really sucks for graphics but usable for a satellite beamer.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

I have this exact galvo/card set and the show card does include a standard ILDA DB25 input and passthrough.

The card has some built-in programs that can be set to run automatically or selected via DMX. There is no SD card slot and you cannot program the show card with your own effects as far as I can tell.