Thread: Coherent C315m driver question

Default Coherent C315m driver question

Hi

Does anyone know whether or not the driver board for a Coherent Compass 315-20mW will drive a 315-100mW or a 315-150mW laser head?

I'm sure I read somewhere in the past that the driver boards were all the same for this series of lasers and would drive any size head.

If the above is true is it just a case of plugging in the new head and off you go?

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Jem,

Not sure what the official Coherent response would be But, I've never had any problems using a random Coherent 315M analog controller to power various 315M heads (20mW, 50mW, 100mW, 150mW). I don't want to be responsible for any damage that happens, but I think you'll be ok. Check with sam for the guru's advice. Out of the 30 or so 315M systems I've had, only one analog controller mentioned any power (ie. -100) otherwise all were generic numbering.

-George

Thanks George. That's good enough for me

I was pretty sure they were generic, but just needed a bit of confidence. I have a 20mW C315m here and knowing this information just gives me another option on my quest for a decently powered Holography laser that isn't going to break the bank.

Thanks again

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

O.K., well, i've taken a risk on buying a C315-150 head only. Got it with a 30 day return, so hopefully any problems and I can return it. The major risk is not knowing how many hours are on it and whether or not there's any overhead left on the pump diode current.

It should be here in a week or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    O.K., well, i've taken a risk on buying a C315-150 head only. Got it with a 30 day return, so hopefully any problems and I can return it. The major risk is not knowing how many hours are on it and whether or not there's any overhead left on the pump diode current.

It should be here in a week or so...
    Yes they are compatible. Doesn't anyone read Sam's Laser FAQ? It is covered.....
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Ahh, that rings a bell now you mention it Phil. I'm pretty sure that's where I read it

Quote Originally Posted by 142laser View Post
    Yes they are compatible. Doesn't anyone read Sam's Laser FAQ? It is covered.....