Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Say hello to my little friend: The Laser Lunchbox of Wonder (LLBOW)

WOW !!! That sure is a lot of coherent goodness packed in a uber small space !!! What will be your next unique build construct ??? Not many out on the range in the DIY back country these days !!! This build is just amazingly small....and a hoot too !!! Thanx for sharing !!! You light the way for others to follow !!!
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

That's a fun project, Mike, awesome job!

Coincidentally, I just powered up my new 1.3W single mode with Compact 506's with the X-Laser amps for the first time yesterday. It is 8"x5"x5.5" so roughly the same volume as your lunchbox. (Mine looks more like a facial tissue box, though.)

I'm still adjusting the optics so I haven't put it through its paces yet, but the 506's running at 18K are almost silent. I've got a couple sets of 506's with the big 5.5mm mirrors and MixedGas's redboard amps and those are very quiet as well. I haven't really done a sound check against my DT-40Pros, PT-40Pros or any other scanners, but I'll pay attention to it and repost if I get similar results to yours. Is there any chance you've started vibrating part of that vintage lunchbox of yours?

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Great! I'll try. Thank you so much Mike

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post
    Thanks, Jors.

Yes, I cut the mounts out of 1/2 Al and did the rest of the machining in my shop.

At this point I have mostly standardized on DTR diodes and housings for my builds. (Thanks, Jordan!)

As to the 506, I don't think you can get the 12V system separately from X-Laser.
    My advice would be to talk to Kvant; they have amps they will sell you for around $100USD, if I recall correctly.
    Won't be 12V, but that's a good thing. Pango can probably advise you as to other sources.

Good luck...Mike
    Jordi Luque

AtenLaser.com
    Barcelona

"Let there be light"

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post

Cool to see you are in Chicago; i was just there last month to see Cirque du Soliel. Drop me a line if you're ever in the Ann Arbor area.
    I keep thinking about a MichLEM or something... Mike
    +1 next time you are in Chicago. I almost made SELEM this year, have yet to meet a single person on this forum in person, I can't wait to meet some like-minded people!

I love your design and layout. Bravo! Bravo!!!

nice build. My 506 are nearly silent but I have them mounted to a 1/2" metal plate in a plastic box that is also 1/2" thick. I think you might be experiencing the same effect you find if you put your cellphone over a glass. That thin plastic is acting as a resonator. You can stop that by adding some damping to the inside to stop the vibration. A couple well placed rods to stiffen the box should do it. If not stuff the box with foam.

A simple test of this is grab the box. Does it get better? If not I'm wrong. When the music is on you should not hear this. People are spoiled anymore. I remember my air cooled argon. Now THAT was loud.

Keep up the innovation. It s good to see.

Quite inspiring how tidy and neat that little box is. I keep looking at this and 'cooo'ing
    Dynamics/EasyLase LC/FD820/RGB 400mW Homebrew w/EMS4ks