Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Man's Power Meter

Default Poor Man's Power Meter

As many here know, I have been working on some high energy pulsed lasers. Each time I come up with some bright idea, I can test the effect spectrally with an attenuated spectrometer. I can test the pulse duration and the RELATIVE power with a biased photo diode sent to an oscilloscope. The problem is determining the absolute energy in a single pulse.

I built a calorimeter based on a small aluminum light trap supported in a vacuum. It sounds like it might work, but the range of measurement is limited to how fine a temperature differential I can measure and when I get really serious the trap gets hot and has to cool prior to the next reading. This means dumping the vacuum and so on.

So... I was trying a new converter dye and decided to see if the beam got any warmer than it was before. I mean how good could it be? So, I used my hand. Yep, that's what I did and the converter was good, really really good. Despite my cat like reflexes I didn't manage to pull my hand out in time. An entire civilization disappeared in some nearby universe between the pulse and my awareness of the pulse. There was a loud snap and the plume was bright because the laser goggles don't protect you from a broad-band black body. It may have actually damaged the surface of the output coupler as the acetone and the methanol along with the optical wipes are not removing the splatter. I could use some suggestions here.

Anyway, and the hand? Well, there is a nice 3cm (exactly 3.0cm diameter grey circle covering a blister. And boy does it hurt. This is serious stuff. You would not want to trust goggles to a direct hit from this thing. I don't know what kind of power it is outputting, but the Cynosure V beam I used to operate would do this kind of damage ( maybe a bit less, I can't remember for sure, but this really hurts) at around 10J/cm^2.

This is a little like getting a speeding ticket in a Ferrari. It hurts, but I can't help smile a little. At least the ticket says how fast you were going. Oh well.

Seriously, do not burn skin with lasers! Mutated DNA, RA rarRa RA....
    This space for rent.

Any post that includes the phrase "despite my cat like reflexes" is going to be humorous.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Sorry, any post relating to amateur laser surgery just is not on.

I am now forced to take hiatus from this forum.
    This space for rent.

Did somwun menchun cats?

@ "This is a little like getting a speeding ticket in a Ferrari."

I wont wun of dem fings !
    Cheers
    PS. @"There was a loud snap " reminds me of 20w argon on my finger nail ...I heard the "sizzle" before the pain hit !
    Last edited by catalanjo; 10-21-2015 at 05:25.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

We professionals use a quartz wedge at a low angle of incidence to split off a signal over to a Joule meter head..

I've been buying heads off Ebay for 50$, I'll see if I can find you one. Readout is an oscilloscope..

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:58.

I DO know something about laser surgery, but the best to do regarding that reference is to move on ( or back) to the OP. Putting a body part especially not an enemy's body part in front of a laser is something we all do when aligning optics and blocking a beam. But, at the risk of going against convensions, all lasers are not the same. A 1mW alignment laser is not the same as a multi- watt diode or ion. Which is not the same as a 20 MW pulsed laser (maybe even more). First protect the eye then the skin and then structures. I needed this reminder and wanted to share it. The ointment helps.

laser burns sometimes have a way of turning cancerous.
    You and dnar made comments about this. I am not aware of this special risk. Other than the threat by PAH compounds that can result from burns of any type, is there a specific risk associated with non-ionizing laser energy?

... I removed some warts with focussed sunlight ... the first one some +45 years ago

And for precise temperature measuring - some years ago we've developed a super accurate temperature controller with +/- 0.002 degC PID-oszillation, based on NI200 or PT100 sensors and 24Bit-ADC (ADuC847 microcontroller) ... could be eventually shared, if you're interested in cooperation ...

Viktor