Thread: voltage dubblers with old surpluss parts

Cool voltage dubblers with old surpluss parts

I have a question on voltage doublers and multistage devices as well, i have always used ceramic disc caps for these due to high input frequency. but now with the other thread on making flash lamps i am building a doubler that one of our great members pointed out as i cant find my 0-2kvdc supply, only and ac one and my glassman is temperamental at running a low voltage load as it's a 0-30kv, i had a concern that a slip of the knob with blow up a multi thousand dolor cap, so i cleaned up and restored a 70's era break down tester that is 0-1.5kac, and i can push it past to 2.3kvdc as for some reason was made to run on 100 volt main.
    after my quick description of my stuff o wanted to upgrade the capacitance of the doubler from .2MFD per cap to 2mfd in hopes of a faster recharge of my main storage caps

The rating on the cap is 2mfd @4000 VDCW, these are non polarized so if i derate the voltage they should work great or that's my understanding of it, the derated voltage per cap should be 1,500. The diodes i am using came from microwaves and have so far done very well. my current doubler only charges the main system at 1ma and these diodes are .800-1.2 amps.

Does this all sound as a workable solution?

The main power supply's current is at least 333ma, when i was a whelp we use it to set scrap electronics on fire
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

I finished the upgraded voltage multiplayer but it's making a ticking noise, but has a normal output voltage, i put a ac current meter on the input 60hz side and when it ticks i get a current of over 100ma, my power source can do 300ma but it even tripped the over current alarm so i thibk one of my "shiny" caps has a connection break to one of the terminals, not my 160mfd 2.5k unit but one 2mfd 4,000 volt ones, made my plastic capacitors inc, i hositly have never had a failure of that brand unless i over volt-aged it

for the troubleshooting is it ok to use different value caps? i.e one .5mfd and a 2 mfd, i have never built a multiplier with different vale caps, hence my question
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

i fixed the problem, i had a bad high voltage output terminal that was arcing on the inside