Thread: Silicone Remover

Default Silicone Remover

I use the easily available acetate based one part silicone in the lab. This is the material that is used for aquariums and household gap filling. Uncured, it smells like vinegar. For years, I have used a product called Silicone-Be-Gone by DAP. This gel softens cured silicone to the point that it is easily wiped off. Based on reviews, it was the best and I have been very happy with it. Now, it is only available in Canada and Lowes will not ship it.

Does anyone have a really good alternative or is anyone in Canada that could help me to get some more of this?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

According to the MSDS

Chemical
    CAS No / Unique ID Percent
    Sulfuric acid 007664-93-9 0.1-1
    Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light 064742-47-8 60-100
    Fumed silica, crystalline-free 112945-52-5 10.0-30.0

DAP is Dow's consumer products division, which suggests they may have an industrial product that is similar.

Quoting some forum:
    "Silicone-Be-Gone is really nothing more than gelled mineral spirits (and mineral spirits is the principal constituent of "paint thinner"). However, calling it "paint thinner" instead of mineral spirits gives the manufacturer the creative freedom to add whatever other stuff he figures might help oil based paint spread or self level better. If it's called "Mineral Spirits", then it would be false advertising and deceptive for the manufacturer to put other stuff in it."
    Endeth quote
    Then I read:
    "There's a product called "Silicone-Be-Gone" that will soften silicone and contains dimethyl glutarate and dimethyl succinate. Xylene is also said to soften silicone fairly well. There's also a product called "DSR-5" that contains petroleum distillate, which is a pretty vague term for a nonpolar organic solvent."

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-26-2015 at 10:49.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Putting in a plug for a company that has several local plants and makes good stuff:

http://www.rpm-technology.com/product-lines/polygone/

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

If you are talking like silicone caulk, WD40 works. A guy told me that when he installed my shower walls.