Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a Lumia Projector

Default Building a Lumia Projector

So I have been talking about it for years, and I am finally getting around to building a Lumia projector.. goal is to have as many wavelengths as possible on it to try and give it some unique effects

beginning by mounting all the motors and lumia wheels to a small aluminum frame made out of angle aluminum

using some geared hankscraft motors

and 5 wheels...

wheels are as follows: line generating, small cloud type lumia, diffraction "burst" grating, diffraction "burst" grating, large cloud type lumia

Nice work so far

Making a Lumia projector is on my looonnng list of 'to do' items. I have all the lasers, I just need to get it together to make it all work. I'm really looking forward to watching your 'build' thread. I've also been following 'Swamidog' for quite some time and am truly inspired by what you guys are doing, keep up the great work.

Incidentally, where are you getting the actual Lumia wheels from? I have a couple (from DZ I think), but would like to get a few more before beginning my project.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Flecom, we're on parallel paths here. I've still got parts arriving for my lumia projector, but will have some similar effects.

What laser wavelengths are you planning to use?

Greg

I got the wheels off of a projector I bought off of DZ at the first FLEM I went to... It had a 60x argon, a HeNe and a 15mW DPSS green... I sold all the lumia motors/electronics to Buffo but kept the wheels... acquired some more motors and build another frame

the large "cloud" type wheel was the one DZ sold on his website and the small "cloud" type I got off another member at a FLEM event

wavelengths so far will be

445 473 532 589 660

want to add something in the 635 range in there too... might get a 20mW diode or something if $$$ permits

I have seen a couple of postings about making your own lumia wheels, although I can't seem to find them at the moment, but I would also like to know a good source for these media.
    It would seem that more people are making their assemblies along these linear lines too. Has there been some study that states that only 2 effects should be combined at a time ?
    I was thinking of having slightly larger wheels mounted on slow moving actuators allowing up to 4 (or more) wheels to overlap a center point. Then an operator could move the various wheels into or out of the beam path. If you put the movements on (pseudo)random cycles then they would slowly move in & out causing an almost infinite number of display possibilities. Combine that with the motors rotating at different speeds (from each other, carefully avoiding speeds that would be a multiple of another.) and you would never find the same effect repeating during an entire show, even if left going for a whole day.

Back to your assembly, what are you using to control/select which path the beam(s) will go ? Or are you planning to mount different heads between each motor and selectively turn them on ? (Or perhaps a bit of both ? Hmmmmm...)
    But it is looking good. Can't wait to see some video of it working.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

My approach was to combine multiple effects on each wheel, then stack and counter rotate them.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...804#post173804

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyInCanada View Post
    I have seen a couple of postings about making your own lumia wheels, although I can't seem to find them at the moment, but I would also like to know a good source for these media.
    It would seem that more people are making their assemblies along these linear lines too. Has there been some study that states that only 2 effects should be combined at a time ?
    I was thinking of having slightly larger wheels mounted on slow moving actuators allowing up to 4 (or more) wheels to overlap a center point. Then an operator could move the various wheels into or out of the beam path. If you put the movements on (pseudo)random cycles then they would slowly move in & out causing an almost infinite number of display possibilities. Combine that with the motors rotating at different speeds (from each other, carefully avoiding speeds that would be a multiple of another.) and you would never find the same effect repeating during an entire show, even if left going for a whole day.

Back to your assembly, what are you using to control/select which path the beam(s) will go ? Or are you planning to mount different heads between each motor and selectively turn them on ? (Or perhaps a bit of both ? Hmmmmm...)
    But it is looking good. Can't wait to see some video of it working.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    My approach was to combine multiple effects on each wheel, then stack and counter rotate them.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...804#post173804
    ya I saw that video you posted = mind asploded

mine has 2 single wheel effects (the ends) and the rest are stacked effects... but single effects... motors will have speed/direction control and then there will be what is essentially a beam table behind them to steer the beam where I want it

working with what I have

not sure how I am going to handle laser brightness, since my 473 and 589 have no modulation... may just put another actuator with a flag in front of them so you can move the flag in and out of the way... giving you a very slow analog mod... but you dont need speed for a lumia projector!

the nice thing about a lumia projector is an upgrade is just a wheel replacement

Despite my difficulties in getting back into it (spare time), I do plan to cut more lumia wheels and make them available soon. I was providing the wheels & motors to DZ, so anyone out there that was looking for wheels or a kit to get one of these into your projector will have an opportunity soon.

Inexpensive low RPM DC motors are not available. I do have some NOS Hankscraft motors that will be available when I resume making kits - once these are gone, the price will increase with my use of a different motor (better quality though). The first few kits are spoken for (daguin, jooopy & mindwaave have first dibs, but I will have more). Details to follow....

Send a PM if you're interested.

You would almost think I know what I am doing eh?

coming along...

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    Despite my difficulties in getting back into it (spare time), I do plan to cut more lumia wheels and make them available soon. I was providing the wheels & motors to DZ, so anyone out there that was looking for wheels or a kit to get one of these into your projector will have an opportunity soon.

Inexpensive low RPM DC motors are not available. I do have some NOS Hankscraft motors that will be available when I resume making kits - once these are gone, the price will increase with my use of a different motor (better quality though). The first few kits are spoken for (daguin, jooopy & mindwaave have first dibs, but I will have more). Details to follow....

Send a PM if you're interested.
    For reference he is very correct on no more hankscraft motors @0.5rpm an email from them:
    "
    Hi Adam,
    Unfortunately we no longer make the .5 RPM. The mold for the gear needed in this geartrain broke a couple years ago, and orders for this RPM did not warrant it's replacing. I'm sorry, but the 1 rpm is the slowest we have.
    Best regards
    Lana
    Hankscraft
    "
    A note with the 445 in the lumia, I had really good luck with diffusing with a lumia type glass before it hit the lumia wheels. For NWLEM I had 445, 660, 473, 532.

-Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 07-18-2011 at 16:11.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.