Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updates

Default Updates

Has anyone else noticed that when threads that they have participated in add a new post , that they are no longer receiving an email notice?

Have you checked your notification settings?
    It's one of the first things I turn off, can't think of anything worse!
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Thanks, I just did and it remains active. I haven't received a notice in nearly a week despite numerous active threads.

Maybe I'll go look at LPF and see what's happening.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

The forum is noted to have issues with Hotmail or similar accounts (probably the mails do not get past Microsoft's spam filters).
    Maybe your mail server notices you got mails from the same source you never opened and thought you didn't want to receive those mails?
    Just speculation.

I'm not sure what is happening. I haven't changed any settings in my email or changed my PL settings for a long time. My spam and trash are empty and... nothing. I suspect something is actually wrong with PL and that is why I asked if anyone else has noticed this. I usually do open PL notices and haven't changed this behavior either.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I have it set on weekly notice and this morning at 9:30 they all came in. The mail server works.

I'll try setting it to daily. Maybe the change from immediate will reset something.

Nothing seems to work. How do you notify the administrator and ask if this can be fixed?

There used to be an hourly limit on the number of notification e-mails that the server could send out. This was a provider restriction, and it was put in place to deter spammers. Because PL has gotten so large, sometimes there are bursts of activity on popular threads. This causes the server to send out lots of e-mails in a short period of time, and in the past the e-mail limit per hour was shutting down lots of the "new post" messages.

My guess is that this is happening again. Remember that most people already get e-mail notices for new PMs. If you add in "new post" notifications, it's easy to see how the per-hour message count could easily rise into the hundreds.

I spoke with Spec about this a few years ago, and back then I think the limit was 450 messages per hour. Not sure if that is still the case, but given that we have more members now, I can see how this could be causing a problem. Unfortunately, Spec could not get the provider to change their policies on this matter.

Adam

I suspect that the problem that I am having is not wide spread. I haven't gotten an update since 11/3 despite numerous posts on numerous threads. Admin emailed me and I received that, but admin PMed me and I did not receive a notice that he did.