Thread: LSX: MIDI Beat Clock versus MIDI Timecode/SMTPE issue

Unhappy LSX: MIDI Beat Clock versus MIDI Timecode/SMTPE issue

So I'd call myself a newbie to this forum. I've been playing the fly on the wall/voyeur for quite some time, reading all the helpful tips and tutorials you've all posted. Many big ups to drlava, j4cbo and colouredmirrorball for their very HUGE contributions. I'm really just starting to get more familiar with ILDA, and have run into my first BIGGEST hurdle!

Is there any possible way to sync the output of my Native Instruments Traktor Scratch Pro (v 2.10) to the live timecoding for LSX Basic (I'll buy Pro if it facilitates this)?

My understanding is that Traktor uses MIDI BEAT CLOCK (aka MIDI CLOCK) rather than MIDI TIMECODE/SMPTE (aka MTC), and because of this difference, LSX cannot sync to Traktor.

I gathered this from drlava's post in August 2012 from this thread --> http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ch-More/page15

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Right now, MIDI beat clock is not picked up, but it's been on the list and so we can talk more to get this set up just the way you want. Right now, LSX accepts MIDI Time Code, which is different from the beat clock, but the beat clock won't be hard to implement.
    I run this all in a Win7 x64 environment, EtherDream DAC. I've been reading a bit about MIDI-OX and MIDI-YOKE, but I'm not sure if either of those would offer a sufficient solution to essentially live convert MIDI BEAT CLOCK to MIDI TIMECODE. Anyone in the forum have any experience with workarounds/solutions to this headache?

If this is not possible, is there any pending update or patch applicable to LSX to provide that functionality? I assume this is a question for drlava.

- Wonderthon
    ||RED FANG|| In Signo Vinces, Per Terrum, Per Mare

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

good question. i've passed this on to andrew (drlava).

c.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks swamidog! Pretty much would be the tits to live sync LSX scanner output with my Traktor timecoded turntable while scratching....

- Wonderthon

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I think the easiest way might be to use a program like Reaper that accepts MIDI beat clock and sends out MTC. Reaper has been used to convert SMPTE to MTC in the past succesfully, don't know about beat clock. Fortunately Reaper is free to download and try out.

colouredmirroball, stellar suggestion! Now I'll just have to figure out how to get that all set up in Reaper (tutorial watching ahead).

- Wonderthon

Hi Wunderthon, good question. This is correct, currently LSX support midi timecode only, although beatclock will be added in the future. In the mean time, coloured's suggestion could be a usable work-around.