Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fibre coupling a large frame ion // advice?

Default Fibre coupling a large frame ion // advice?

Hi chaps,
    I have something very similar to a large frame ion, in terms of beam quality and output power, and wanted to ask the experts // people with direct experience of doing this, how best to fibre couple such a beam? Planned delivery will be to a remote scan head (20-50m away).

In the past I've coupled a 10W OPSL 532nm before with 50µm with a 5-axis launcher, with correct peaking-procedure, and wasn't impressed with the coupling efficiency.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such quality beams, M^2 <1.4, Po = ~30W, specifically w.r.t. what diameter fibres, and coupling / decoupling lenses?
    Is there any possibility to deliver the output and maintain very close to the input beam spec at high efficiencies (>70%)? Dia 2mm, 0.8mRad?

Thanks!
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

It's my understanding that if you do not use single mode fiber then there will be a loss in beam quality as the beam enters and exits the fiber. I believe that is how fiber helps to homogenize a diode used as a pump source. Other than remaining within the acceptance angle of the fiber with the NA of the launching lens and at these FL probably using aspherical lenses, I can not give any hands on advise. Good luck.

I'm not sure I can couple many watts into SM fibre (<10µm)... I think something may burn

I know. Maybe its not practical, but I would certainly eliminate the possibility of free space through a beam tube.

quick question, that has me thinking of a 20+ watt fiber coupled diode bar, i want to get that back into a beam and am told that the lends is not critical, I have a spare double convex lens that would have been used in a green dpss, would this work? the diode is 850nm or something like that
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

you could just put a donk on it briggs

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

... I have a Coherent-diode with 25W@808nm, where they positioned 19 fibers to every of the emitters in the bar and bundled them to an 'output' of 0.7mm diameter - not so easy to get this output into a SM fiber :-/

Other 25W@975nm diodes from IPG are better assembled - here three single 9W emitters are collimated and combined and focussed into a 105µ-fiber, what's much better usable than the 700 microns from Coherent ... but too, hard to fit into a 10 microns fiber ...

Viktor

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

15 mm diameter 13.7 mm focal length into 100 um or greater core.
    Achromat required for multiline
    single element preferred for ultra high power Qswitched.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks Steve; much appreciated.

Oh no thanks to me then
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat