Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser Divergence 6W+

As for the Nubm44 it is a multi mode diode so it does make a rectangular beam. It's possible to correct the beam using cylindrical lens. I am working on another problem that definitely relates to these diodes. They get extremely hot because of the power and as that heat increases so does resistance. I am prototyping and considering a U.S. Patent on a vented heat sink that controls the direction of heat transfer. The idea is to keep the heat from travelling to the driver and batteries when aimed down. By lathing it or drilling the heatsink with holes that are angled. Heat rises. It is a fact but it can be bent, shaped and manipulated.
    *Personal note I'm considering using 9999 pure silver wire and heat shrink tube over it for it's resistance to heat and high conductivity.
    *These diodes get extremely hot causing resistance and when aimed down and suddenly up they at first seem like
    they have a short but I questioned it and thoroughly inspected and found the cause.

Problem: Heat transfer: Diode lip --->AxisZ housing---->heatsink
    Probelm: Heat transfer aimed down: Diode lip -----> Diode pins or terminals----> wires---->driver---->batteries
    Problem: Condensation on focusing lens, diode window(personally seen it) (think about a home that is 110 degrees inside and room temp outside.
    the windows will condensate)

Forgive my artwork it's not the greatest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22687584_507389902958202_1345567168132052259_n.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	53038 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22552697_507391856291340_7545960741284942626_n.jpg 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	53039
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22552479_507441429619716_7460496740594294895_n.jpg 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	53040 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22687722_507442762952916_5848932296694316696_n.jpg 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	53041
    My design is intended to control the direction of heat transfer from the
    heatsink, focusing that heat on the tip of the heatsink as long as possible
    to dissipate it off before it can travel driver-batteries.

Factors:

Electricity follows the path of least resistance.

"By knowledge I know that an electron moving through a wire will experience more resistance at high temperatures than average, this is due to the vibrating atoms in the conductor which keep obstructing the flow of current or charge carriers" Source

Joule Heating!! It's relativity to resistance and Resistors *jst connectors cause resistance (this will cause what I call a conduction loop)

Conduction: "heat flows from the warmer to the cooler object until they both are at the same temperature"

(a)Thermal resistance of wire coating (b) thermal resistance of wire

{Don't get me wrong! These are EXCELLENT!!! diodes and if you don't leave a hand held laser using this diode on for say over 5 minutes then you may not even face these problems.}
    *will shut up about it but 2-3 days away from lpf and negative environment caused by peeps like laserbee (that is not a learning environment where anyone can learn)
    Last edited by Bradford7175; 10-22-2017 at 17:50. Reason: updated content

Unless you can force air through the holes with a small fan your approach will prove counterproductive. Removing material from the heat sink by drilling holes in it reduces its thermal mass. Less thermal mass=heat sink gets hot faster. The holes in the heat sink would provide extra surface area but you would need to force fed air through them to take advantage of that.

If I took that approach water cooling would be a better option. It's not out of the question. On the other hand a 25mm heatsink like used in a jayrob maglite build kit would give more thermal mass. It's a matter of the heatsinking but how quickly it's dissipating the heat off the diode before it can cause any resistance. Just had an odd thought ....remembering the guy who put his pc in a clear waterproof case and submurged the entire guts of it in cooking oil. lol can I get some french fries with that.

Reading

counterproductive is accurate but I am learning some do's and don'ts. as long as I'm learning, I don't mind being wrong. Thanks gizmo!
    At least I did figure out what was actually happening inside my S4X with Nichia Nubm44
    Looking at a larger heatsink
    Last edited by Bradford7175; 10-23-2017 at 01:04.

You might consider a heatpipe approach. It uses a liquid to draw the heat away that recondenses and then flows back to the heat source. It gets pumped around the heatpipe. CPU coolers use this method in some fanless systems. You can buy a completed one and attach to your heatsink. They should work well given the watts of heat should be less than most cpus.

https://www.radianheatsinks.com/heatpipe/

Quote Originally Posted by Bradford7175 View Post
    You are not alone Wavelength. I hate this because this is a new forum but I am posting it in advance. I have had problems with laserbee harassing me too on another forum. He went beyond just stalking and harassing me on the other forum but to sending me hateful messages.
    I reported it to the forum admins but despite it because of Canada and his company it wound up with me getting banned. I do not want any problems here. This guy is more about his company and it's image. He used a fake id on the other forum and threatened my life. I'm already remembering seeing the ignore list button here on this forum somewhere. From what I saw this forum is American. Please keep it that way.

I updated this too wooohooo!! Because of what wavelength said. He isn't just imagining it. I know it's a forum and people see "todays post" "new post". (STOP FOLLOWING ME!! NOPE!!) It might appear like paranoia but it's not. He post pictures of a troll holding a can of anti troll spray to confuse his victims. It's not just people imagining it. It's him and his company. If you "newbie", "rookie", "troll" etc look bad then him and his company look good. I took desktop publishing in college and portfolio design so I fully understand subliminal advertising etc. He is using it in a negative way.
    Hey Bradford717...
    Looks like you're going out of your way to Toll here as well....
    What does being in Canada have anything to do with anything.
    Show us where I used Canada and my Company to Butt Hurt you...
    Like I said on the "other" Forum... Prove your accusations....
    Show us all the hateful messages I sent you...
    Show us that Fake ID and IP addys....

When I called you out to prove your same Insane accusations you went
    on an Outrageous Frustrated Spoiled Child ramage because you had
    no proof of your Imaginary Accusations.. That is what got you Perma
    Banned...

Pull up your pants before you trip over them and wipe that Snot Bubble
    from your nose.... We are not your Mommy here either.

Only YOU can decide if you want to fit in here.... or get swept out by
    the Janitor.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    You might consider a heatpipe approach. It uses a liquid to draw the heat away that recondenses and then flows back to the heat source. It gets pumped around the heatpipe. CPU coolers use this method in some fanless systems. You can buy a completed one and attach to your heatsink. They should work well given the watts of heat should be less than most cpus.
    IIRC from his posts on LPF... he wants to build a very small
    hand held High Power Laser Pointer using some Panasonic material
    for the heat transfer.

Jerry
    Last edited by lasersbee; 10-23-2017 at 03:22.
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions