Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Paris

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    But I believe it's like the Bible: not to be taken literally. Christianity managed to move on from this. We no longer lynch homosexuals or adulterers.
    we do in america. unfortunately.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    we do in america. unfortunately.
    Maybe you should decrease college tuition so people can learn to think more easily

Again it's not muslim aggression.
    Maybe I will once univ cuts me some slack.

But I believe it's like the Bible: not to be taken literally.
    Wrong again. You do not know Muslim history or you deny it. You have not read their book. These are not extremists. These are zealots. They follow their religious teachings rigidly. Some may not, but millions do and those millions matter; especially now in France.

I will not comment on your own country's internal affairs. But I must say it is worrying.
    You did in the previous post.

Can you see why displaying our moral values through compassion and providing support for refugees goes directly against their hopes?
    No, they demonstrate what they see as our weakness.

You missed the most important part.
    No, I didn't miss it. I disagree with your proposition.

And this coming from a man who thinks plain old genocide is an acceptable solution.
    This is inaccurate, insulting and frankly, stupid.

Well so far you haven't given me any rational argument. I will consider myself to be right until proven otherwise.
    Really? Really, then It looks like this discussion may be a waste of time. And I'm beginning to suspect that you may be a troll.

Swami,
    We do...what?

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Wrong again. You do not know Muslim history or you deny it. You have not read their book. These are not extremists. These are zealots. They follow their religious teachings rigidly. Some may not, but millions do and those millions matter; especially now in France.
    Extremists and zealots are the same in my book (when it comes to religion). If you're a zealot christian you want to stone adulterers. If you're a zealot muslim you want to expand muslim territory. Stupid examples. Zealots follow their holy book unconditionally and do not listen to reason. But most adepts of a religion are NOT zealots! It is just wrong to say that every muslim is a violent person who wants to convert as much people to islam as possible. Only extremists want that.

I have had history back in high school. I know islam is based on conquest - Mohammed was a warrior. This makes it extremely easy for extremist zealots to justify their violence, and makes the Daesh claim for a caliphate historically justified, according to islam. But you seem to not understand that the amount of extremists is not millions. Maybe not even a million. IS strength is estimated between 50000 and 250000. A very small minority. 0.01 % of total muslims.

I don't want to blame anyone and the situation is what it is now. The error we should NOT make, and the error you appear to think will be made, is retaliate against muslims. Again it is absolutely vital muslims in Europe learn our values instead of having the feeling they don't belong here. Because those people are the number one source of terrorists today. The Bin Laden kind of terrorism is rather exceptional - more the result of a spoiled rich kid not knowing what to do with daddy's oil dollars and deciding to spend them on what he thinks is a good cause.

You did in the previous post.
    True, add "any further" to my previous statement to make it correct.

No, they demonstrate what they see as our weakness.
    And yet, at the same time, it is our strength.

No, I didn't miss it. I disagree with your proposition.
    It does not matter at all what Daesh thinks of us. It matters what our own muslim population thinks of the country they live in and the people! Anything you say, anything you propose, will only make matters worse. You act like every muslim is inherently dangerous. It is exactly that kind of attitude that leads to muslims not feeling welcome in a society that is supposed to be pluralistic. Posts like yours are part of the problem.

This is inaccurate, insulting and frankly, stupid.
    Based on quotes

You hear this Europe? The sooner you come to the decision to DO SOMETHING the fewer that will die in the long run.
    and

However, the "solution" you suggest is likely to occur exactly because of the illegal actions of self promoting politicians like Merkel. The rise of the Nazi party had much less to do with the charisma of Hitler than with the consequences of the punitive settlement after WWI by Brittan France and the US. The Germans were looking for a scape goat and financially despite. Rather than slowly rising from this state, it was easier to lash out with incredible violence and cruelty at those they blamed for their suffering. You can already sense the mood of France is turning from 100% "what did we do wrong to make them so mad" to enough is enough. Keep it up. With the numbers of Islamists in Europe (and the US) numbering in the thousands (in my opinion many thousands). Those concentration camps are coming and the lucky will be deported.
    You see, it makes it look like you think mass destruction camps are the only way out. You fail to see the other obvious solutions. Your mind is all made up that this is the way it's going to be and you have accepted it. Instead of thinking of solutions or maybe even expressing hope politicians would do the right thing. It might not be so but it is what I got from your post.

Really? Really, then It looks like this discussion may be a waste of time. And I'm beginning to suspect that you may be a troll.
    I mean, a rational argument why you would think capitalism is the best system and why we should stick to it. I have not seen one except for your "natural way" one which I frankly thought to be quite weak.

This argument is falling into little unconnected pieces...

Swami,
    Thanks, but have you ever heard the line "if you don't know the numbers you don't know anything"? What I mean is that something that shares a property with something else does not make it the same. Fear of outsiders is a common, good and self protecting human characteristic. Against this is paranoia, callousness and even selfishness. These Jewish children did not pose quite the same threat as suicide bombers. It is reasonable to have a higher, much higher threshold for the admission of these Syrians into our country. Protecting our fellow citizans must likewise be a higher priority for our politicians than the needs of people seeking to come here.
    Last edited by planters; 11-17-2015 at 14:11.

i don't want paranoia, racism, or xenophobia to be part of my values or my county's values.

every wave of immigrants says the next one is the bad one.

Swami,
    Thanks, but have you ever heard the line "if you don't know the numbers you don't know anything"? What I mean is that something that shares a property with something else does not make it the same. Fear of outsiders is a common, good and self protecting human characteristic. Against this is paranoia, callousness and even selfishness. These Jewish children did not pose quite the same threat as suicide bombers. It is reasonable to have a higher, much higher threshold for the admission of these Syrians into our country. Protecting our fellow citizans must likewise be a higher priority for our politicians than the needs of people seeking to come here.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i don't want paranoia, racism, or xenophobia to be part of my values or my county's values.

Yes, I agree 100%.

On the first point, we agree. On the second, they are not by definition, wrong.

The issue with these "immigrants" will not go away.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...amic-terrorism

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...otel-Mali.html

Despite Obama's rant that we are afraid of orphans and widows. The facts keep interfering with this fantasy.