Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green machine.. bolting down started

Default Green machine.. bolting down started

Hi guys

This is the green machine with hardware in position and "bolt down" under way.

Its getting a bit exciting now.. can make green 'things' happen but haven't run up the Pangolin system yet.
    Like all electronics there's always another bit to do ....damn it !!

Man that 1.7 watt is bright.

Safety goggles are now here thanks to Ajaii and the second 1.5 watt green has also arrived.

Please feel free to jump in if you see any issues.

Once again for all of your help in recent months a real big thanks to you all..

Ray
    Rotorua
    New Zealand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00175.JPG  

DSC00179.JPG  

DSC00180.JPG  

Thumbs up

Looking good!!! But um... What the fuck are you going to do with all that green...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Looking good!!! But um... What the fuck are you going to do with all that green...
    We just recieved a 1.7W, and i must say they are great for lighting smokes with
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Looks good ray,

I'm not sure you will really need the fans on the scan amp heatsink. My understanding is the DT40 amps stay pretty cool, so even a heatsink that size may be overkill. Nothing wrong with overkill tho, especially when laser power like this is involved.

Another idea, perhaps might be to shield the scanners from the laser blower, perhaps with a aluminum shield with a little hole in it for the laser beam. Or even build a small box over the scanners to seal them. The latter is what we try to do with our projectors. Saves cleaning the mirrors, and scratching them up in the process.
    Last edited by dave; 05-30-2007 at 01:55. Reason: afterthought

Cool

To expand on Dave's suggestion, that aluminum "shield" that he mentioned would also give you a nice place to mount your shutter. (I don't see one anywhere in the design...)

Also, re: the DT-40 amps... Yeah, they run very cool. The heat sink shown in the picture is a lot bigger than it needs to be. But like Dave said, there's nothing wrong with overkill.

Adam

How much thermal grease did you use? Looks like a lot. If you use too much it'll actually act as a insulator.

Default Ray

Thanks for the input..

In answer to what the F#@k am I doing with all of that green...
    'Cause I can !! and it looks good.

I am going to do an ali' shield over the beam area but below the top fins as the laser fan may blow dust in on the scanners. It will also act as another safety level device.

Re the heat: I guess I am showing my grey beard in electronics... heat kills or at least that has been my experience over the last forty years in electronic engineering. Better cool than hot I think (normally).

Re the thermal grease.. Its showing like that because I have 'worked' the two surfaces together thus making that bead of grease around things. I also know that to try to clean off the surplus makes a hell of a mess. But no there is not very much between the surfaces, nowhere like what the picture shows.

At this time there are no safety devices built in. Which of course there will be.

In regards to a safety shutter... how and where would you fit this. (where do you get one and how do you reliably trigger same ( scanner fail signal maybe ??)
    If it is directly in the beam path from the laser am I to understand that "back reflection" can be damaging very quickly to a laser ?? Do you somehow send the beam off to one of those "beam dumps"
    Any advice on this important safety issue would be most welcome.

Once again many thanks guys much appreciated..

Ray
    NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post

In regards to a safety shutter... how and where would you fit this. (where do you get one and how do you reliably trigger same ( scanner fail signal maybe ??)
    If it is directly in the beam path from the laser am I to understand that "back reflection" can be damaging very quickly to a laser ?? Do you somehow send the beam off to one of those "beam dumps"
    Any advice on this important safety issue would be most welcome.
    Hi Ray,

I think we have some spare actuators very similar to GM20's, ill have a look tonight at what we have and get back to you.

The Best bet for wiring these up is to run them off the shutter pin of the ilda, however what we normally do is also route the shutter via the projector return wire. If you have a safety board, yes it should connect to the shutter also.

Back reflections are no issue with Dpss lasers, however, you would not be reflecting the light. If the shutter arm is matt black, it will absorb most of the light anyway

David

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    Man that 1.7 watt is bright.
    ...second 1.5 watt green has also arrived
    Projector is looking good Ray.

How about getting a PBS and combining that 1.7 and 1.5 and creating over 3W (probably nearer 4W) of DPSS loveliness?

The only pain is that I'm sure they are polarised at 45* so you'll need to get a bit funky with some mounting hardware, but it would be worth it!

With those high powered beams, keep an eye on the heat build-up in the shutter, you may find you need to use a mirror on the arm to steer the laser into a higher capacity heatsink.
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

Thanks for that. My initial thought is to have two identical setups (well almost as my 1.7 was supposed to be a 1.5 but I lucked out).
    However it has not escaped my notice that this combining can take place. Its just that I am so new to this game I have no understanding of PBS blocks etc etc.

Also initially two 'green machines' gives me some versatility until I build my RGB down the track. Theres nothing like watching two things do the same thing in "duo".. It makes it look like you have more than you really have. I only have one Pangolin card QM2000 basic at this time.
    At this time I probably dont need any more "power" for what size areas I intend to use it in.. (yet another thing to learn).
    Well one good thing its raining this morning so will get some workshop time before "she who would be obeyed" orders some "garden time'.
    Thanks for you help.

Ray
    NZ