Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: X-laser be aware- very abussive 20% re-stocking fee

Default X-laser be aware- very abussive 20% re-stocking fee

X-Laser reach me to get an agreement. Their customer service worked.
    Last edited by myanezt; 11-27-2015 at 09:11.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i'm sorry to hear you had issues, i don't know the your details, but..

i had a performance issue with some galvos i bought from x-laser (it was a honest mistake on their spec sheet). i dealt with adam from x-laser and he could not possibly have been nicer and more professional to work with on resolving the problem. i would not hesitate to do business with him again (in fact, i owe him a phone call).
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

What was the advertised power of the laser you bought? Was it advertised as "apparent brightness"?
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

X-Laser reach me to get an agreement. Their customer service worked.
    Last edited by myanezt; 11-27-2015 at 09:11.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i agree it is a little confusing. the x-beam 2500 shows power of 1.6J CW (why don't they use W or mW ?) but apparent brightness of 2.5W (different unit of measurement) and "apparent brightness" is totally subjective.

what does a 2.5W laser look like? without knowing beam specs and color balance, that's a meaningless statement.

source: http://x-laser.us/wp-content/uploads...back-final.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by myanezt View Post
    Skywriter HP 1.8W apparent brightness.... and X-BEAM 2.3W. I think that "apparent brightness" is a comercial trick and is very subjetive to who observe and is not real.
    Last edited by swamidog; 11-24-2015 at 09:39.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Curious, and PM me if its sensitive, but what was the going rate for a 2.5W 'apparent brightness' (probably real 1.6W like Chris said... is this at the window or is it really even lower?), with 15K scanners?
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

1.6j @ 1 joules per sec is 1.6w apparent brightness is scam plain and simple

1.6J CW, pretty meaningless figure without the unit of time - it could me 1.6J / week, which would be a matter of microwatts!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by myanezt View Post
    I decided return and they came with a 20% abusive re-stocking fee claiming the they must recertified the fixture....I even use them 10 minutes.
    This is 100% true. Any projector that is returned to them must be run back through their entire quality control system before it can be sold again.

CDRH requires a manufacturer to certify that each and every projector sold is compliant with all the requirements of 21 CFR 1040. But once the projector leaves their (X-laser's) hands, they have no control over what is done with it. Thus, when it comes back to them, they must test and re-certify everything.

Yes, this is a huge pain in the ass. But don't blame X-laser for this. They don't make the rules, the CDRH does.

they told that the case was damaged on the delivery and charged another 75$ for that. Very un-profesional.
    Shipping an expensive item like a laser projector is a perfect example of a time when you should purchase insurance for the shipment. I don't know of anyone foolish enough to send something that costs a few thousand dollars without insuring the shipment.

If you purchased insurance, it will cover the damage fee. If you didn't purchase insurance, then you are out of luck. But consider this: if the package had been lost or stolen, you would be out ALL your money. Let that be a reminder for next time: Insure expensive packages when you ship them. (Insurance is cheap.)

I just spoke with an attorney and filed an consumer complain in MD General Attorney, if I don't solve will claim it in a small bussines bussines arbitrary court.
    Sorry, but I don't think you have a legal leg to stand on. The re-stocking fee is clearly explained on the invoice, and I'm pretty sure it's in the user's manual as well. (In fact, it used to be on their website, although they just re-did their site so it might not be up there now.) Since they do not guarantee a power output, you won't win by saying that your measurement is different.

In the future, you do know that they have some dealers that have projectors on-display in the store that you can look at before you buy, right? I know that some of the larger Guitar Centers (the one's with "expert service" staff, whatever that means) do this... That might be something to look into for the future.

I have a friend that bought from an Chinese company, laser ilda interface came broken and they replaced the unit with no cost.
    But by your own admission, there was nothing wrong with the projector. It just didn't look as bright as you thought it should. That's not the same thing as a broken ILDA connector.

It boils down to you not being happy with the projector, but the projector still does what they say it does. In that case, the restocking fee applies. Sorry, I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but that's the heart of the issue.

As an aside, I do agree that it would be better if they rated their projectors in actual power output (watts or milliwatts), at least when selling to an informed clientele like the laserists here on the forum. But the vast majority of their customers are not laser geeks.

They are lighting people, mobile music people, venue managers, and other people in the entertainment industry who couldn't care less about the technical details and just want to buy a laser projector that works and is legal without a lot of red tape or jargon. So their marketing is aimed at that sort of buyer, not us.

Adam

Thank god for the UK - restocking fees are now illegal against consumers. Seller even has to refund the postage (outbound (+ inbound as well if the contract doesn't specify the consumer pays the return at the point of sale) in addition to the full purchase price of the product with no deductions. This is for just if you change your mind. There are additional rights for faulty goods.