Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Competition > Prize 50mW 532nm laser

While probably NOT obscure ...Power supply mains connection , maybe?
    bad galvo!!!
    Other than that , had to be a ground issue.
    Hmm, I have to agree, I think Marconi nailed it before anyone else did...

David

Smile

Aaron;

I like the other ballsy smiley too. Reminds me of the Mecha-Streisand episode of SouthPark with Robert Smith (of The Cure) and Barbra Streisand in it.

"I'll rochambeau you for it." "OK - I'll go first!" "Ugh!!!"

Adam

Hey LaserMad,

Awesome! thanks for selecting me as the winner - will I finally be an official laser knob with a pointer too?? .
    OK, so now there is some discussion on who nailed it first. In my own defense I'll say that Marconi's words "bad galvo" don't exactly explain the problem.
    IMO explanaitions need to be specific otherwise they don't explain anything. You don't hear FAA officials saying "After extensive research we found Flight XXX crashed because it was a bad airplane"

However in my attempts to be more specific I don't come up with the actual problem so I guess that I'm the winner beacause of the effort
    (but I can live with that)

cheers

Marconi Etc

Sorry i really think "bad galvo" is too generic , in fact the galvo is fine ..its just when it goes into the mount the issue arises ........ also i dont think its grounding issue , as i said i have been lead to beleive it was a "polarity" issue ...and zoof mentioned the galvo may be connected/installed incorrectly and this IMHO might lead to the polarity issue arising and also ZOOF did make a real effort with multiple posts so no "steawrds Enquiry " here , the pointers alredy in the post to him.

thanks to everyone who took part ...hopefully we all learned a bit on the way .

Wonder if Bill Benner / another galvo guru could confirm / explain polarity is an issue ?

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Well ok, If thats the way you want to play it.

I didnt think I needed to write a thesis about bad galvo's
    Dzurcher did explain it further than I did in his guess as well.
    It was too obvious and then in post 23 you confirmed it.
    Which Dzurcher again explained that you must have a shorted galvo...
    Yes, It does happen. and you get strange results like you had..
    causing grounding out of the supply thru the amp..
    We really think you have a bad galvo.

I have never seen an application regarding special placement of the galvo
    regarding power requirements.
    You should be able to swap galvos, the pair should be the same.
    And if they are special..the manu would have had that detail told in the manual.
    Who made the scanners?
    Congrats Zoof on your new laser
    Last edited by marconi; 07-04-2007 at 18:58.
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

awww marconi .... you sound a little bit upset , please dont be it was all meant to be a little bit of fun ......... the main issue with "bad galvo " i had is well someone could had said "bad galvo " ,"bad power supply" ,"bad laser" and that would have covered just about everything .... i hope you didnt take offence to me saying i thought "bad galvo" was too generic ..the devils in the details.

I have recently had a very detailed and interesting PM from Buffo and he pointed out a HUGE glaring error in my conclusions "" a thin layer of tape wouldn't have any effect on magnetic polarity "".

This always worried me in my own thoughts and that was part of the reason i was always so hesitant and fumbling in my own explanation but as it was explained to me by someones whos knowledge i respected i thought it must be so , especially as the solution worked and i felt it must have been a gap in my knowledge ( of wish there is huge ones :-) ) ..........indeed thats why i hinted in one post i need this clarified ........... i will get back to my friend and ask for a more detailed explanation to see if that helps.

As regards the competition ..........it really was meant to be just a bit of fun and i will not open a stewards enquiry into the winner ... i really did feel zoof was the most active and appeared to be trying quite hard so as i said in one post "for effort" the lasers off to a deserved winner

However considering I am surrounded by more laser pointers than i can count in here in this office.......once the dusts settled and i have spoken to my friend further i may well decide to offer a 2nd and 3rd prize !

Happy Lasering everyone

PAUL

Default Everyones A Winner Baby

Ok a collegue has pointed out to me i am a mingy old scrouge , a mean old bam , a "moths" in the wallett type of guy and i really need to loosen up a bit .... i really did get upset when he called me as "tight as an aberdonian" but i guess most wont really understand the depth of insult that is :-)

Anyways , nobody likes to come in 2nd or 3rd we all aim for NUMBER 1 and nothing else counts ! ............SO EVERYONES A WINNER .

Ok i cant give a out a bluesky SFX focasuble 50mW to everyone who took part but i do have plethora of lasers to hand.

I promise it wont be dollar store lasers but i aint decided on the exact prizes yet but i cant promise it will be decent bits of kit in terms of quality. ( apprently its tax deducatble so i might be generous LOL )

So heres the single RULE .... you must have taken part in the thread somehow and contributed to it .......if you did simply PM me with your address and within a few weeks you will receive a Prize Package !

PAUL

LaserMad wrote
    i aint decided on the exact prizes yet but i cant promise it will be decent bits of kit in terms of quality
    I guess second prize is ... a set of hardly used galvos and a reel of sticky tape

sorry..... been on the wine hic

all the best .... Karl

Awe no, Im not mad, maybe a little crazy or eccentric!
    Tho after reading my post again,it does kinda look that way..
    I didnt mean it to. maybe the painkillers had takin over my mind.

We are here to help..just was pointing out my observation
    and deduction from your description..

Its all good..

Heh, Karl..thats a good one. I'd expect no less from you
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    I guess second prize is ... a set of hardly used galvos and a reel of sticky tape
    sorry..... been on the wine hic
    Damn Karl... You kill me!

Too bad you're on the other side of the globe. I'd love to buy you a beer for that last one. (Darned near sprayed diet pepsi out my nose when I read it!)

Adam