Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Beyond on an old Macbook Pro

You'll have to remove the second HDD temporarily. I had no luck with mounting an iso or using an external USB DVD drive. The only remedy was to replace the internal (about $40). I tried for days. I was so close to just going and buying a new laptop!

How is Beyond performance when running with Parallels?

I have no issues running Beyond through VMWare Fusion

Beyond / VMWare Fusion / Windows 10 combination works great on the iMac
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    You'll have to remove the second HDD temporarily. I had no luck with mounting an iso or using an external USB DVD drive. The only remedy was to replace the internal (about $40). I tried for days. I was so close to just going and buying a new laptop!
    Wow, you were right! I tried about 10 different ways to get a USB drive or USB DVD drive to boot, and no luck at all. Did some research only to find this model MBP doesn't support USB booting at all!!! (WTAF APPLE???)

Then the next problem was finding the internal DVD drive my g/f tossed aside when she had it replaced with an SSD. I finally found it hidden on a bookshelf. Installed it, and it worked. But then it wouldn't eject the disc because it was mis-aligned with the case. The only way to do that was to unmount it, and hold it, still connected via a tiny ribbon cable, while rebooting the computer and holding the eject button down.

So I finally got Win10 installed (via Bootcamp), but now it has no sound drivers, no bluetooth driver, and the NVIDIA video driver constantly crashes.

So I tried Parallels, and that sort of works, but this MBP only has 4GB of memory, so Beyond crashes when I try to run it in Parallels. By this point, it was 2am last night and I quit.

Today I look for the proper drivers for Win10 so I can get sound, BT, and a non-crashing video driver. And maybe buy more memory.

I read there was a way to fool the OS into thinking it was on a different year MacBook Pro by editing the .plist file inBootca p folder but that is locked in El Capitan. I lost count of the number of times I tried.
    Drivers are an issue for Windows 10 for the older macbook pros. I used Windows 7 and have had no issues, yet.

Yeah, I wanted to use Win7, but also don't want to buy a copy to get a valid product key!

I could acquire a Win10 product key via other means.

Yea, I hear ya. I ended up buying new win 7 product key for use this purpose. It was around $50 I think

What version of Win7 and where?

Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. I think it was from Tech Emporium.