Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Running Beyond on an old Macbook Pro

4GB of ram is not a problem at all.. more ram is nice though.. I recommend more ram because you are running a virtual machine which is an extra layer on top of that MAC os.

Ram is cheap and all laptops allow for it to be upgraded.

Yeah, I just ordered the 8GB upgrade for $45.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post

Ram is cheap and all laptops allow for it to be upgraded.
    no. some laptops have ram soldered directly to the motherboard. it's cheaper to manufacture, more reliable, allows for slimmer laptops, but is not upgradable.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    no. some laptops have ram soldered directly to the motherboard. it's cheaper to manufacture, more reliable, allows for slimmer laptops, but is not upgradable.
    That soldered to thing my makes my skin crawl... With mobile graphics cards I understand it as getting replacements is hard and the sockets are very exotic... but man

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    That soldered to thing my makes my skin crawl... With mobile graphics cards I understand it as getting replacements is hard and the sockets are very exotic... but man
    blame the demand for skinny laptops.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

blame the demand for skinny laptops.
    Yup. I wanted to upgrade the RAM in my MacBook Air, and no-go, sorry charlie. It's also very hard to upgrade the SSD since it uses a non-standard form-factor, a 256GB SSD is about $500, whereas I can get a SATA SSD for <$100. Thanks, Apple!

Finally!

Great Success! But it's taken two days.

I got Win10 running on this 2010 MacBookPro, but I didn't have native access to:
    • Bluetooth
    • Audio Devices (including volume control)
    • Keyboard backlight
    • Touchpad settings
    • Screen brightness
    • And Google Chrome kept crashing the video drivers

I ended up finding (and trying to install) several different version of the "Boot Camp Support Software" , including:

All of which when run in Windows 10 froze when installing the Realtek audio drivers, requiring a reboot. I kept searching for solutions to all of the above issues... until I stumbled upon the most recent version of Boot Camp Support Software:

I also found this page that shows how to run the Bootcamp Support for unsupported hardware (very helpful!!): http://tsentas.net/bootcamp-x64-unsupported/

I installed that, and wow -- it installed EVERYTHING I needed, Bluetooth (native, not the USB adatper I was using), audio drivers (NOT Realtek, but Cirrus Logic), screen controls, audio controls, keyboard backlighting, touchpad settings, and the latest video drivers.

I also uninstalled Chrome and re-installed the 64-bit version for Win 10, and now it's no longer crashing the video drivers.

Beyond runs great, and so far, no bluetooth problems like I had before.

So I'm finally all set for some lasering tonight on this new console.

Great to hear you got it all running

Parallels has a default Ram allocation setting that I needed to tweak when I installed it as it was too low to run Windows. You may need to look at that. My system of 4gb was set to 1gb for Windows.

Of course if you boot directly to win then you don't really need parallels, but it's handy for when running files across both OS

ya I use parallels with beyond on my 2009 17" MBP and it works fine, have 8gb ram and send 3GB to an XP VM running Beyond... still run XP because I am afraid of breaking Beyond/LD2k with my .net box again so I just use it for beyond which is fine