Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Beyond on an old Macbook Pro

Default Running Beyond on an old Macbook Pro

I have an older Macbook Pro Mid 2010 model, with 2.66gHz Core i7 with 4GB of memory and an SSD.

It's currently running OSX 10.8.3.

I'm in the process of installing Bootcamp and likely Windows 10.

I found this page with lots of info on running Pangolin on this kind of hardware: http://www.pangolin.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1505

My questions are simple:

Will Beyond run on Windows 10 with Bootcamp?
    Should I upgrade OSX to a newer version?
    If so, which version should I upgrade to?

Am I crazy to try this?

Thanks.

Turns out that I can't install W10 on this box.. so I guess it's back to Windows 7.

I'm also upgrading to El Capitan, since I can't get Bootcamp to work without an optical drive (it was removed).

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if possible, i strongly suggest bumping to at least 8gb of ram.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks!

Hank,
    BEYOND works very well now in my use of it on 7/8/8.1/10
    (Both Bootcamp and "normal" non-Mac installations).
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

I'm still using my late 2008 MacBook Pro core 2 duo 2.8gHz 8gig ram, Mountain Lion/Bootcamp/Windows 7 64bit.

Last time I remember, mountain lion was the last OS that supported a version of boot camp that supported Windows 7.

I could have this slightly wrong and there are work arounds but I'm not upgrading to the latest Mac or PC OSs any times soon. Do a search about which combo of MacOS/Bootcamp/Windows works to save a few lost hours. As far as the hardware goes, it will work well.

Good luck.
    Kit

Thanks guys!!

.\.\.\..\.\

I have just redone my bootcamp partition. My macbook pro is Late 2011 and running El Capitan and windows 7. I had all sorts of issues as my optical drive was faulty. To cut a long story short you will need to replace your internal optical drive to get it all up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    I have just redone my bootcamp partition. My macbook pro is Late 2011 and running El Capitan and windows 7. I had all sorts of issues as my optical drive was faulty. To cut a long story short you will need to replace your internal optical drive to get it all up and running.
    It's funny you say that, because this Macbook had the optical drive replaced with a second hard drive.

I'm trying to get a Windows ISO mounted as a device, and hopefully that will work? Or maybe a USB Optical drive (Which I have, but no Windows 7 CD).

Anyone have an unused Windows 7 product key they aren't using?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    It's funny you say that, because this Macbook had the optical drive replaced with a second hard drive.

I'm trying to get a Windows ISO mounted as a device, and hopefully that will work? Or maybe a USB Optical drive (Which I have, but no Windows 7 CD).

Anyone have an unused Windows 7 product key they aren't using?
    you may be able to do a windows install from a usb stick. i've done that a few times on machines that don't have optical drives.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.