Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did anybody try this DAC?

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

In a small community, with low profit margins, highly dependent on complex code functioning in real time, personal accountability is essential.
    +
    Once you get a failed, major, laser show under your belt, people in this industry usually get very picky about their hardware, software, and tech support.
    +
    IF word gets around that you have frequent tech failures, it is a corporate death sentence in entertainment. Either customers go to another vendor, or they stop buying laser entertainment.
    +
    So having Standards Compliance, Tracability on hardware ECOs, and awareness of minor software changes is very important. Most here cannot risk a glitch when working for a major client. I want to know who makes changes to any repository, that I am dependent on..
    +
    I'd also like to think that a bunch of hard working folks, most of which I know or have met, receive credit for their work.
    +
    At a previous employer, we found out that "Open Source" is not always so open. There was an open source module that would have saved a half year of development on a urgent military contract project. It included other modules, under different licenses. Some of them were not credited, and it became a vast quagmire for the lawers. I actually contacted most of the contributers and asked for access to the code or to pay for its use. All of them approved, until we found one problematic fragment of copied, un-credited code. One of the programmers searched for, and recognized the code inclusion, and knew of the author.
    +
    Net result was hiring an outside programming consultant to recreate the functionality of the code in my prototype, without showing him the original code. Six months of delay, and added cost for the consultant. My prototype worked awesome, it would have (And since has) saved lives, but we could not sell it immediately because of one code module. Thus I want to know what I'm using.
    +
    Most of the open source programmers were more then happy to release the code for national service. One for profit entity was not so nice.
    +
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-10-2015 at 07:56.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

How many people are actually banking major client shows on a hobby DAC like an Etherdream or EasyAud or EasyLase or whatever, though? Seems to me that a show for a major client is going to be with hardware the likes of Pangolin or, the package Tim Walsh uses whose name escapes me now.
    PM Sent...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    How many people are actually banking major client shows on a hobby DAC like an Etherdream or EasyAud or EasyLase or whatever, though? Seems to me that a show for a major client is going to be with hardware the likes of Pangolin or, the package Tim Walsh uses whose name escapes me now.
    tim uses lasergraph DSP.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Brad,
    In terms of Etherdream, you might be supprised. Not many, but a few really big corporate users.

Steve

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    tim uses lasergraph DSP.
    Thanks... I'm getting old and feeble minded. Counldn't recall the name.
    PM Sent...

Steve, you claim that it is a copy of DrLavas code. Which part specifically?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Thanks... I'm getting old and feeble minded. Counldn't recall the name.
    sollinger provided the lasers for ILDA 2015 so i got to hang with him and hovered while he and tim were doing lasergraph things. very interesting.

http://laseranimation.com/en/products/lasergraph-dsp
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Steve, you claim that it is a copy of DrLavas code. Which part specifically?
    +
    John,
    +
    I stand corrected, Its JM Laser's
    +
    Which sort of proves my point about code hosting needing atributes.
    +
    Steve

I wasn't necessarily refuting your claim. I was just trying to understand your case and thought maybe it was part of that universal DAC interface that Andrew wrote. I subsequently took another stroll through the code to see what it was all about. It's basically doing the same thing that the EzAudDAC DLL did to imitate the EasyLase except that not only does contain a clone of the EasyLase interface, it even clones the Etherdream and EzAud interfaces. It is somewhat comical to me; copying an interface that copies another interface that copies another interface.

I am not certain if JM Lasers would be happy with just receiving credit. I will be happy if the IDN interface takes off so that we can move past this sort of thing.

... the last two years I was in contact and cooperation with both of them - JM Laser and HAlaser and used their docs, sources and support to program an own application around HAlaser's BeamContruct and JM Laser's API for a special verison of XY-galvo-scanner.

It was no problem to get the contacts or needed infos - but could be, this was easier to get working locally with direct contact, than from behind the pond?

Viktor