Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beam size issues RGB

Thanks Zoof <blush>
    Ok moving beams mix. Great. Problem solved. My green is a WL and is about 3mm beam dia :/ The Marconis are of course their fantastic-- what-- < 1mm?
    The "illustrations" were from memory at about 6-8 ft. from the projector head where they are approx the same size. Yes my alignment is probably not perfect- some stuff is not bolted down yet I better get my ass in gear B-4 SELEM! Only got <2 months to go
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Adam,
    In normal air without any fog it looks like top picture. Wish it would look like bottom pic. Will a fiber do this? (I know i need fog)
    When it hits the white wall though it is bright yellow.
    What type of dichro are you using? Can you post a picture of your setup?
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

EO dichro. The ouput looks yellow in the pics but not in real life. The green is not attenuated here so it's 'slightly' overpowering the red.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails May01644.JPG  

May01647.JPG  

Last edited by steve-o; 06-06-2007 at 05:27.

You could use fiber to do exactly this.
    Dave,
    Would a short fiber mix the red/green like mixing a martini- shake all the photons around together until they're mixed thorougly making for a smooth (but dry) beam?

EO dichro. The ouput looks yellow in the pics but not in real life. The green is not attenuated here so it's 'slightly' overpowering the red.
    Like Buffo said you need to check the alignment in the far field as well to see if you are truly combining the beams or just converging the beams.

Theyre 'spot-on' from the dichro to the field across the street (200 ft)

Laser Sam says: "You'll get light that appears orange or yellow but an actual change in
    wavelength due to non-linear effects won't show up except at high power.
    ---
    My question is (without going into the photon duality particle/ wave theory) is that you will have elements of both 532 and 658 but not a wavelength inbetween (e.g. 590nm) except in appearance due to photon collision (in fog or contact with a solid or liquid object--I'm assuming)? Or am I missing something or completely out in far left field?
    Dave- Is this what you are referring to - a non-linear reaction within the fiber?

Adam,
    In normal air without any fog it looks like top picture. Wish it would look like bottom pic. Will a fiber do this? (I know i need fog)
    When it hits the white wall though it is bright yellow.
    I noticed that speckle when the beam is in "normal" air, but if I blast some fog out the beam turns a nice deep yellow.

I'm guessing dust & other airborne matter reflect different wavelength light with differing intensity causing the effect, so I keep my workshop filled with fog 24/7 to avoid seeing it
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

Good idea!
    I'll have to try that.
    I wonder if that'll work in my yard so the neighbors wont see that mowing is overdue

Theyre 'spot-on' from the dichro to the field across the street (200 ft)
    Thats close to perfect in my book.
    I have never noticed it in any of my beams. I am running close to a watt of white light now. 330mw of 532nm,460mw of 650nm and 120mw of 473nm. I will try to see if I can get the same effect as you are seeing.