Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: powering laser from inverter

Default powering laser from inverter

Is it possible to power a laser and laptop form a 12V inverter?

I want to do some laser billboards around town and don't really want to pay out for a generator. Is it ok to use a 12V inverter to power both the projector and laptop providing I stay with in the power specifications?
    I know they use a modified sine wave but not sure what implication that will have on the electronics.

Cheers
    Rich

the key is PURE SIGN WAVE !!!
    essential or the galvos will jigger
    I have used one inverter to run 2 laptops and 5 lasers !

your billboard jobs will last 2 / 3 / 4 / 6 hours though , so in the
    end you WILL end up using a generator
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Inverter generator worked fine for me.
    You can buy a lunchbox sized honda eu2000i, and solve all your problems for mobility
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

+1 for the Honda EU2000i. Pure sine wave output, ultra stable and very quiet and efficient to run.

I have run my Bose L1 sound system, Laptop, LED lights and lasers all from the above generator. Just buy one of those little inline power measuring gadgets so you can monitor the current draw and therefore don't overload it.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

The EU2000i is only list - I just didn't want to drop the cash on it just yet. They look like great little generators.
    Yea I need to get one of this inline monitors so I can see how much I am pulling. At the moment it would be MacbookPro and 2x Venus II 2.9. Can't see these pulling much more than a few amps

I use a 3000 Watt Pure Sign inverter all the time to do the same thing, set up the computer in the back of my Suburban and throw up the lasers on tripods. I just run the truck every 10 minutes or so for a few minutes to keep the battery fully charged.

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    I use a 3000 Watt Pure Sign inverter all the time to do the same thing, set up the computer in the back of my Suburban and throw up the lasers on tripods. I just run the truck every 10 minutes or so for a few minutes to keep the battery fully charged.
    What brand are you using?

http://www.theinverterstore.com/3000...-inverter.html

I also have this Duracell 3000watt http://www.invertersrus.com/xantrexxpower3000.html and it works great without any problems for years, but it doesn't claim to be Pure Sine, only modified sine, and it cost a lot less… I have done plenty of renegade advertising with no ripple in the scanners, or any other issues. This inverter also worked great for my daughters high flow air pump, and all of her monitors.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the links

So could I run a cheap 300mw laser from a 12v 7ah battery with a 300w pure sine inverter? It'll be the only thing I'm running since it's an sd card cheapy cheap cheapity cheap laser. (The subtext here is probably "I can't afford a generator"...)