Thread: Polarization maintaining optical fiber

Default Polarization maintaining optical fiber

Hi

Not sure if this thread should be in here, but I couldn't really think where to put it, so...

Does anyone on the forum have a source for obtaining some polarization maintaining optical fiber?

I believe the 488nm cable is capable of handling wavelengths from 480nm to 630nm.

I have to confess that this isn't for my laser projector, it's for my other hobby - Holography. I've just managed to buy a Coherent Compass 315m Single Longitudinal Mode Laser (well, almost SLM. There is another small line but it's not worth bothering with!). These have a very long coherence length and are perfect for making holograms with.

I haven't got the space to set up a large optical table, so up to now I have restricted myself to making single beam reflection holograms with my 8mw(ish) 632.8nm HeNe laser. I'm wanting to experiment with using opical fibers but maintaining polarization is pretty crucial, hence the need for the polarization maintaining cable.

If I can get this to work with any degree of success I don't have to bother with loads of uneccessary optics and a big optical table

Thanks guys (& possible the odd Gal as well )

Jem

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Cool

Does anyone on the forum have a source for obtaining some polarization maintaining optical fiber?

I believe the 488nm cable is capable of handling wavelengths from 480nm to 630nm.

have you considered Thorlabs single mode cable?

Steve