Thread: DB-9 connectors on laser modules?

Default DB-9 connectors on laser modules?

I've noticed some people who build their own pure diode laser modules use DB-9 to conenct it to the rest of the projector. I have few questions here. First, is there some standard as to which pin is meant for what? Secondly, why a DB connector? Finally, is it really a good idea to use DB pins for several amps of current?

... I'm using DB-9 connectors and single pins for up to 3 Amps @12V without problems and double or triple them for higher currents.

There are special DB-9-type connectors with 'fat' pins/sockets for much higher currents - have a laser with a power connector stated for 24V@10Amps in a DB-9 formfactor, but only two 'fat' pin/socket-pairs ... or DB-25 form factor with 9 or 15 'normal' pins on the one side and some 10A-pins on the other ...

Viktor

I see, so you solder connectors together to handle more current? What about pin indexing though? Is there some agreed standard which pins to use for negative and positive power lines and ground and which ones for the two signals?

... as I'm mostly building/developing my own modules, the indexing or pin-grouping is mostly defined by the application or 'gut feeling'

At the last two modules with DB-9 connectors the top row pins (1-5) were used for the digital inputs and the bottom (6-9) for analog and/or power.

For the last 'high current' modules with multi-pins (2x to 3x parallel) for the [+] and [-] potentials I've used DB-15 or special connectors for currents >10Amps per pin ...

Viktor

I see. And the cable to connect the module with the projector would be a DB connector on one end that has power and signal cables coming out of it with their respective connectors on the other end?

... yes -- but the other end is mostly connected to a CNC-controller and 10A or 20A power supply
    Viktor

I mean drivers and PSUs mostly either have screw terminals for holding the cable or you have to solder the cable to a PCB.
    I think it will be more modular to have connectors on the other ends of the cable so you can unplug and reconnect or connect another cable easier. I wouldn't care if I was sure all my modules will be fine with 9 pin DB-9 connecor cable (then I could use the same plug + cables for all modules) but the high power blue ones probably won't. Does this make sense?