Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ScannerMAX Saturn Series

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    just use isopropyl alcohol and a fine cotton ear swab and clean with a rolling motion.
    I never clean optics with alcohol and wouldn't recommend it. Acetone, even cheap acetone, would be better than alcohol. Acetone or methanol would be preferable.

Very impressive images. Can't wait to see some videos from you! Nice artwork, BTW!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Nice to hear that they become closer to availability. I was ready to buy two sets last year at PLS but unfortunately no way to get my hands on them, so I had to stick with EMS-8000 (not disappointed though). The next time could be the good one

And maybe we could finally see a proper side-by-side comparison between CT, Saturn and EMS !

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    Will you have the Mach DSP for the Compact 506? Or is it just with the Saturn scanners?
    Hi Fearless,

The Mach DSP IS compatible with the Compact 506... however it would be equivalent to putting a Ferrari engine in a Toyota Camry. It CAN be done... but would be expensive for not much benefit and certainly not the proper application.

There is an amplifier for the Compact 506 which is still in development called the Mach Mini, based around the Mach DSP. However, the Mach DSP has many features and capabilities (which all cost $$$), which the Compact 506 is not able to take advantage of. Therefore it isn't economical at this time to package the Mach DSP with the Compact 506 scanners... hope this helps!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=absolom7691;323288]I never clean optics with alcohol and wouldn't recommend it. Acetone, even cheap acetone, would be better than alcohol. Acetone or methanol would be preferable. End Quote...

+

Be careful how you say that in an laser company interview, that might cost you the job.. Acetone for is grease, ultrapure Methanol, not Ethanol, for everything else. European companies use Ethanol because Methanol is banned for the most part in Europe. Generally for high energy pulses, you finish cleaning with Methanol... If you have the right grade of chems, its not a problem. But drug store alcohol is down right nasty for cleaning optics, too much residual water... Water adheres to thin film coatings, making for issues later on...
    +

Acetone and Ethanol attract water vapor to optics... Its bad in high energy/ultrafast labs to use either of them without finishing with MeOH.

Stevce
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Nice to hear that they become closer to availability. I was ready to buy two sets last year at PLS but unfortunately no way to get my hands on them, so I had to stick with EMS-8000 (not disappointed though). The next time could be the good one

And maybe we could finally see a proper side-by-side comparison between CT, Saturn and EMS !
    I can contact a laser friend who lives cycling distance to get my hands on a kvant with CTHP scanners. I'll send him a message soon. Although there is more to it then a side by side comparison.
    The CTHP requires a big toroid transformer from what i've seen and has really large sized scanner amplifiers... while the saturn runs fine with an normal 24v switching power supply I even used to power my LW50k scanners. On top of that the CTHP gets a hot when not bolted down but words don't do the talking I guess. A video is in place.. I have temperature probes here including a temperature gun or whatever you call that.

@Mixedgas would love to hear your recommendation on something readily available for cleaning.
    Acetone and methanol are great but methanol I haven't seen readily available. On top of that my worry goes to acetone possibly disolving scanner mirror glue bonds.

Thanks, yes it does. I'm building 3 new laser rigs with cryo-cooled mits 638 reds--I would love to put Saturns in them, but for now I have 2 sets of 506's in need of mini-DSPs!

You can get 99.9% pure IPA quite easily in Europe, which degreases quite well. (try car detailing suppliers online for best bulk buying or somewhere like Maplin for smaller quantities). Never tried it on mirrors, but I would imagine it's safe as it doesn't seem reactive with most surfaces, and it evaporates back off in seconds. You could always check with Pangolin as it does dissolve some glues. Watch the labelled quality though as not all supplies are pure.

As for methanol, in Europe it usually comes in the form of methylated spirits which is laced with minerals that give it a nasty taste to prevent consumption by alcoholics.

You can however get it in pure form from Biofuel additive suppliers and chemical lab suppliers if you can get them to sell to you: eg. http://www.chemicals.co.uk/methanol

Just keeping an eye on this rather important thread
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post

Just keeping an eye on this rather important thread
    Cheers
    You should. I will post more projections when I get back from israel in 7 days (although make that 8 just to give myself a day extra). (visiting girlfriend).
    A DSP really makes life easier and the results nicer. It should also eliminate an issue seen in one of planters videos where the divergence and beam diameter of his projector was so good the feedback of the eyemagics wasn't good enough and thus the sides where thicker because the retrace lines didn't correctly align. On top of that the amplifier is not large so you can fit it in a rather small enclosure.

although make that 8 just to give myself a day extra
    Well make that 26... to give you 3 weeks extra.