Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Musing !!

Default Musing !!

This is not on lasers at all but rather the group of helpful guys on this forum.
    With modern technology which we probably take for granted. Here am I in New Zealand "down-under" right next door to Australia ( a polite and convenient distance away) and yet I can put up a request for help and answers flow from all corners of the world. UK, USA,Australia,China, Norway, Switzerland and so on...... fantastic.
    One of the neat pleasures I get when I have my 'morning logon session' is to look at who's on line. When its morning here of course its night in the UK.
    The USA is kinda halfway house at that time.
    This means that you see some guys burning the 'midnight oil', some at work (or are supposed to be), and some at home after dinner.
    Boy, once upon a time the best you could do was a fax and that was real modern then. Used to be pen, paper and stamp wait six weeks if you were lucky, prior to that.
    I wonder where our hobby would be in those days before communal hi tech' sharing like now.
    I used to look at the paper going into the fax machine and being mesmerised by the fact that it was coming out of a machine in the USA to book my holiday.

They say its not good to get older (I'm mid fifties) but I disagree, think of whats happened in my lifetime and the technologies I have worked with ( yep, even valves, should have kept some of those suckers, worth some money now) in my career as an electronics guy.
    Some of this stuff, which younger ones take for granted, is little short of a miracle which of course makes our forum possible..

Now thats nothing to do with lasers.. er sorry just waffling on.

Cheers to all around the globe wherever you are.

Ray .. from the bottom of the world.
    New Zealand

Yes, I agree...
    We have the greatest bunch here.. Couldnt ask for any better place than here.
    In the last 2 1/2 years, well since its conception I find myself drawn to this forum more than any other place and that includes ebay.

If theres anything that one needs help on or needs to know about something
    the great collection of minds here will find the answer..
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Cool

Ray and Chuck;

I completely agree. I'm drawn to this forum like a moth to a light bulb. And you're right; it's largely because of the *very* cool people that hang out here.

Re: enabling technology. It's been around a bit longer than you might expect. I'm sure everyone remembers IRC, but how about Fidonet? And before that there were BBS's that were incredibly helpful too. And before that? Well, if you were a HAM radio operator, there were all kinds of nets you could get on and talk about technology. (Plus quite a few others that were great if you were just in the mood for a good rag chew!)

I think it's a part of the human psyche that makes us want (need?) to congregate. And thus each new technological invention is quickly pressed into service (in one way or another) to serve that need.

But it takes a lot of people giving a lot of time to the group in order to get a forum that is as cozy (and helpful) as PhotonLexicon is. We've got a great thing going here; I'm not sure that everyone realizes how uncommon that is on the 'net today.

I am very thankful, both for the fact that Spec decided to build this place (and maintain it!), and for all the regulars that weigh in on the discussions here. (Even the ones that have nothing to do with lasers, like this one for instance!) Those conversations are as enjoyable to read as any book...

And yeah, you gotta admit that it's awesome when someone can be half way around the globe and still feel part of a closely-bound community. I suppose if you had a whole bunch of pen-pals you could get something approaching that feeling, but nothing beats the instant gratification that the Internet offers!

Adam

I tend to forget the time that is spent doing research about one topic or another.....just seems logical. There is a nice place to call home here.....and to direct fellow associates to visit. I have a few younger adults that are intrested in lasers and are planning to indulge as soon as the funds are in their hands. I always have enjoyed sharing a hobby with youth....somehow I missed that in my earlier years and want to give when I can. Guess that is why I have piloted a lot of types of aircraft,assisted with diverse projects of all topics, and generally enjoy the learning of something new to me. It's the elctronics that has me hooked as well as the beauty of the laser itself. If I need to explain that......well it may be a good time for you to stop reading. It's worse than anything.....well a lot of things that one could become somewhat addicted to. All I can say is thanks to Spec for the great deals he has provided and an outstanding job of keeping the "Rack" from jumping out the window. Not to forget Marconi for the best red lasers around. All the people here have something to share and it is just a great place to keep up with all the photon action. Thanks to all who contribute....long or short. Allways a solution to be found here.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Hi .. do you have a plane of your own... I am always keen to talk to a fellow flier.

Guess you can tell what mine is from the avatar.

A Pitts Special S1 with Falcon wings. Lyc 0320 - crossover exhaust, fully inverted. Took me three years to build. Thats fun.
    Don't get much time to fly it right now though.
    Lasers aren't helping much on that front as I get more drawn into them.

Ray
    NZ

I have plans to get the STC's to make a Texas Taildragger out of a C-152. I have some radio equipment and a transponder...keeping it VFR only. I also plan to STC a 150 horse power plant, maybe 0-320 or 0-290 if I can find a good core to rebuild. I have a lot of logged time in C-152 and C-172 and Piper Cherokee 140 and J-3 for tailwheel signoff. Mostly miss the afternoon adventures to local fields for a soda. After we move and get settled in early next year I will make this a priority project. But mostly just buy fuel and borrow friend's Cessna 172. Now and then I get a chance to play with the cub....the most fun. No radio,no transponder,no electrics.....just pure flying on the cheap. I would love to try a rolling circle in the Pitts , but I am afraid I might ground loop it on rool out !! I have some great videos of my friend Matt Chapman in his Cap 232 if I were to be allowed to post them somewhere. He is a very competition oriented pilot, but one of the nicest guys you'd meet. I forget sometimes how much I miss the quiet time flying.........Is that a two blade Hartzell prop? Probably climb pitch?
    Last edited by MechEng3; 06-01-2007 at 12:30.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Hi Mech,
    Sounds like you have some fun with your flying..
    Building an aeroplane is one of the best things you can do. Good for achievement and also gets the cost per hour right down.
    There's a lot of misinformation on the Pitts Special re landing etc. On grass they are not that hard but you do have to stay 'on them'. They are short coupled and you land fast so until you bleed off that initial speed you can easily lift off again. Of course what can happen is, once the initial speed is gone people tend to relax thinking its 'over' but ain't 'over' till she stops. Most ground loops seem to happen at slower speed.

The prop is a Sensinich fixed pitch, its the usual comprimise between cruise and climb. Looked at a variable pitch but at $20K US$ plus its not going to happen. Although the way this laser thing is going I'll be through 20K on that by the time I do my RGB as well.
    Still lots to learn so I'll get my two greens going first, learn how what etc with them get to know my Pangolin system etc then start on the RGB.

Nice chatting aircraft we better stop before someone growls that this is not an aviation site... although what about two lasers wing mounted facing ahead at say 40 watts a piece... nah ! Feds will never wear it.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

although what about two lasers wing mounted facing ahead at say 40 watts a piece... nah ! Feds will never wear it.

Sure would look cool though. I would SO love to see that

I would love to see two Pitts in a laser dog-fight

That would rock
    Would have to have OD7+ aviation goggles though