Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 6W RGB Laser Build - UK

Another update based on this thread. I am still debating diodes, but at the moment:

Oclaro HL63193MG 638nm Red * 2
    NDG 7475 520nm Green * 1
    NDB 7875 450nm Blue * 1

The ND# appear to have the same beam specs so can be combined and corrected together. I liked the idea of a higher wavelength blue, but I think playing with different diodes can wait for the rest of the projector to be built.

Laser version 3 by Simon Redfearn, on Flickr

Thanks for all the advice, I will post the supplier list soon also,

Dupe...

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Can I perhaps recommend looking at different style diode mounts. Maybe look at ones like Dave at Lasershowparts sells ('Dave' on the forum), or similar.
    There are afew people here doing similar mounts, perhaps they'll make themselves known

http://lasershowparts.com/store/inde...ewCat&catId=84
    I've been in touch with Dave and ordered some of his, thanks.

Dupe.....

The magnification of a lens-(or pism) pair is slightly wavelength dependent.
    When different colors share the same telescope, that could pose an issue if you're very picky about beam matching.

That's where prisms might be better as you can offset the input side so the output matches
    That said, I think most would be happy with the cylinder overlay anyway.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    The magnification of a lens-(or pism) pair is slightly wavelength dependent.
    When different colors share the same telescope, that could pose an issue if you're very picky about beam matching.
    Oh yes.... the uncorrected divergence of the 07E is greater than the
    uncorrected divergence of the 01T.
    I assume that the size of the emitter is the variable in play here. The
    question stands, if we lengthen the path of propagation for the 07E... will
    this compensate enough to equalize the divergence between the two diodes at the Far field ??
    To forge an equal far-field divergence circles back to being dependent on
    how far the beam target is from the projector unit.
    This issue then reverts back to the discussion of how far away is the
    typical far-field maximum?
    SOooo, what does the venue demand ?...15 meters, 20 meters, 30 meters...to the Far field. How good the beam matching is... depends on how far away the beam target is.
    There also remains another problem of collateral consequence. When we extend the beam path of the 07E, this will also increase the width/geometry at the near field. Will the near field then fit the scanner mirrors ?? Always compromises !
    It boils down to...What can we live with ? Perhaps, a single set of cylindrical lenses will not be adequate under some cases....vis... Graphic shows at a 30 meter Far field ??
    Optics are a stern taskmaster, and one never gets without giving.
    I have no doubt that the commercial projector manufactures grapple with this every day....and have do so for years...just like we have.
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 01-20-2016 at 09:54. Reason: Cleaned up the post
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Oh yes.... the uncorrected divergence of the 07E is greater than the
    uncorrected divergence of the 01T.
    Thanks for the reply, just a question? At the moment I am looking at the following diodes:

NDG 7475 520nm Green * 1
    NDB 7875 450nm Blue * 1

The ND# have the same divergence, presumably because they are both 9mm, both from the same supplier and maybe even made on common tooling. You have mentioned the 07E and 01T, but I don't really need this level of power.

Optics are pretty new to me and I have been looking into this a lot in the last days. Once I get the diodes and confirm the beam dimensions I will get the glass and start to understand the trade-offs...

Dupe...

Quote Originally Posted by djdulux View Post
    Thanks for the reply, just a question? At the moment I am looking at the following diodes:

NDG 7475 520nm Green * 1
    NDB 7875 450nm Blue * 1

The ND# have the same divergence, presumably because they are both 9mm, both from the same supplier and maybe even made on common tooling. You have mentioned the 07E and 01T, but I don't really need this level of power.

Optics are pretty new to me and I have been looking into this a lot in the last days. Once I get the diodes and confirm the beam dimensions I will get the glass and start to understand the trade-offs...

Dupe...
    Well...Let's make a comparison...
    Green
    NDG7475 ~ 1W OP ~ $ 235 cost ~ 520nm
    NUBM01T ~ 1W OP ~ $ 200 cost ~ 520nm
    Blue
    NDB7875 ~ 3.5W OP ~ $ 54 cost ~ 450nm
    NUBM01T ~ 4W OP ~ $ 140 cost ~ 465nm
    SO...$ 289 vs. $ 340...Not a big cost difference@ $ 51 bucks.
    SO....what do you get for the extra $ 51.00 ??
    Well...In my opinion...the main benefit...is the colour pallet available when using the Blue @ 465nm. I like the colours's this LD combo generates !!
    And the perceived brightness at the 465nm line is about 1.38X vs the 450nm line.
    Also, another 1/2 watt of optical power for the NUBM07E.
    And finally....I have not experimented with the NDG7475 and NDB7875. I have no idea if they can share a common set of Cylindrical lenses ???? Perhaps others can speak for this configuration....I cannot... Good luck !!
    CDBEAM=======>
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Firstly thanks for the post, you have made some very good points and I have to agree it does make sense! My only worry is that my little laser projector has grown from a few Watts to something a bit more potent, yikes!

DTR has a good post on the 7475 / 7875 and they look very similar, I have not found anything yet on the others. To maintain color balance I can obviously not use the full output I suppose.

Decisions decisions....

Thanks again...

Dupe...

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Well...Let's make a comparison...
    Green
    NDG7475 ~ 1W OP ~ $ 235 cost ~ 520nm
    NUBM01T ~ 1W OP ~ $ 200 cost ~ 520nm
    Blue
    NDB7875 ~ 3.5W OP ~ $ 54 cost ~ 450nm
    NUBM01T ~ 4W OP ~ $ 140 cost ~ 465nm
    SO...$ 289 vs. $ 340...Not a big cost difference@ $ 51 bucks.
    SO....what do you get for the extra $ 51.00 ??
    Well...In my opinion...the main benefit...is the colour pallet available when using the Blue @ 465nm. I like the colours's this LD combo generates !!
    And the perceived brightness at the 465nm line is about 1.38X vs the 450nm line.
    Also, another 1/2 watt of optical power for the NUBM07E.
    And finally....I have not experimented with the NDG7475 and NDB7875. I have no idea if they can share a common set of Cylindrical lenses ???? Perhaps others can speak for this configuration....I cannot... Good luck !!
    CDBEAM=======>
    Last edited by djdulux; 01-21-2016 at 11:32.

Its taken a while to get going on this one, but a few bits have started to arrive now:

Laser table (25mm grid on M3 holes), copper diode and flex mounts from Lasershowparts.

Laser table diode mounts in copper flex mounts by Simon Redfearn, on Flickr

Dupe...

Another bag of bits (well tiny little box) have arrived from Stanwax, mainly mirrors and some optics.

Last thing I am struggling with is Drivers, a few options exist, but nothing is really jumping out yet, any thoughts?

Dupe....