Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser projector combined with video projector image??

That's nice find Aiwaz, but I've seen the coolux pricelist... OUCH!

...and people think lasers are expensive! :-)...
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Wow, that's some cool hardware/software! At ILDA 2014, LOBO provided a detailed overview of a ride/show they created in Las Vegas that used this effect, although I'm not sure what technology they used to produce it. In any case, its a fun way to apply lasers to produce a unique effect.

With my budget, I'd have to manually overlay lasers over pre-rendered layered video, but it doesn't really look that hard as long as your timings are accurate. I'll have to add this to my long list of To-Dos!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    the video demo should give you some ideas
    Great find! No need for the software (planning to generate/program all imagery on the fly)- but their videos offer some fantastic proof of the combined effect. Can only to hope to have such results with the hacky solution I plan to work on.

Just a quick update with an initial proof of concept to share!

+ https://www.instagram.com/p/BFkRNXsBTZs/

Ended up getting an analog RGB 1.8W laser, controlling it via EtherDream DAC, openFrameworks (ofxILDA lib from @memotv) for laser + Processing for video projection.

Similar to as imagined.. the laser offers a wild bright light quality that the video beamer can't pretend to do... the video beamer can handle far more shapes/lines than the laser can.. more coming soon- but with selective usage, it seems to have great potential!

Both are done... beyond offers laser masking with video where the video displays inside of the mask or the laser masks the video.. laser overlay on video I have done before multiple times for clients like intel.

Quote Originally Posted by ffd8 View Post

Ended up getting an analog RGB 1.8W laser, controlling it via EtherDream DAC, openFrameworks (ofxILDA lib from @memotv) for laser + Processing for video projection.

Similar to as imagined.. the laser offers a wild bright light quality that the video beamer can't pretend to do... the video beamer can handle far more shapes/lines than the laser can.. more coming soon- but with selective usage, it seems to have great potential!

That's cool! nice work

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

oh. that is awesome! how come i didn't know about your project??!!

Quote Originally Posted by ffd8 View Post

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Wow, those are some beautiful results! Most inspiring!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Both are done... beyond offers laser masking with video where the video displays inside of the mask or the laser masks the video.. laser overlay on video I have done before multiple times for clients like intel.

That's cool! nice work
    Care to share?? I started the thread looking for examples of this technique in action. I was certain it had been done before.. after all, http://everythingyoudidhasalreadybeendone.com
    Hoping to see any/all examples of the combined sources.

Any laser program with MIDI support + any video mapping program like Resolume can do this too. Use Resolume's mapping feature to match the premade laser graphics with the premade video files, then use a midi device (AKAI LPD8 is a cheap simple option) to trigger both the laser and video animations assigned to the same midi key in sync.

thanks for the tip and good to know for dealing with something pre-made.