Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: estop

Default estop

Hi guysJust looking for some views on how I'd implement an Estop in my current setup.Currently looking to run 4 RGB units, all total output 2.2 watt each. All daisy chained via powercon leads and daisy chained too via ILDA to PB3 Pangolin software.Am I right in thinking if I connect an interlock estop to the first unit this should shut down all the other units?Also anyone know any decent stockists in the UK for estops.Thank you in advance

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

No that is likely not correct. The e-stops would probably need to be daisy chained as well. It would kill the first projector but not the subsequent projectors. I say likely because stranger things have been known to happen but, I suspect if you test it, you'll find the other three units will keep running. As far as Estops in the UK, Robert Stanley (Stanwax) has them and, if I recall correctly Jim (smogthemog on PL) also usually has a supply.

http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/
    PM Sent...

Hey thanks for the reply, appriciated.

Had a look on stanwaxlaser site. There's a few options so I've emailed him for best options.

Might even be easier to use an estop for the main powered unit that powercon links the rest of the units.

Thanks again

I think what'll get you is to use Class 4 lasers here in the UK there are requirements about e-stops - they have to have a delay and key reset and bits. Stanwax will be very helpful and the e-stop system in his boards is very good and compliant but you'll have to tell folk what kind of laser you've got and check the manual to see how your e-stop socket is wired and whether it does the job.
    Dynamics/EasyLase LC/FD820/RGB 400mW Homebrew w/EMS4ks

I made a small relay contactor that breaks the interlock line in the FB3 output so turns off the laser emissions and not the scanners or projectors power... I'll post a picture if you like, but I also have some bare boards left I think from the minimum manufacturers run...
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

I made this for someone a little while ago

4 ilda inputs on one side and 4 ilda outputs on the other, estop in the middle and add 5v. job done

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Regarding e-stop use in the UK, (and Europe), there is no legal requirement for the laser manufacturer to supply an e-stop with the laser projector. Although it is good practice to, and invariably e-stops are required as part the installers/operators obligations.

What the laser supplier must do however is for all Class 3B and Class 4 laser projectors, supply the unit with an interlock connector. The requirement is that the pins must be connected together to enable light output.

The other important requirement of the laser supplier is that any Class 4 lasers must also have a power supply reset feature, meaning that an action has to be taken by the operator to enable the laser projector in the case of first turning on, a power loss or interlock break, before the laser is able to emit light.

The better laser suppliers do implement this feature as is required by the EN 60825-1:2007 and later standards, which made it a legal requirement for CE purposes since 2009. But there are still a large number of laser projection devices being supplied or made in-house that fail to meet this CE requirement. If your supplier has sold you kit without this safety feature, contact them and demand that they do. Also, they are not allowed to list it as an optional (chargeable) extra either. For that would be like a car manufacturer selling a vehicle as standard without seat belts, and having them listed as an optional chargeable extra.

Stanwax’s PCBs are a quick and low cost way of adding the feature yourself to a projector that you have self built. I put some details on it on this link. http://www.lvroptical.com/blog_PushTheButton.htm

BTW - there is NO requirement in the UK or Europe for the supplier to have a delayed start feature on the laser. This in not in the safety standard.

Ultimately, the better laser systems supply a remote that acts as an e-stop and also provides the power supply reset function as a separate switch.

Having the e-stop cut the mains power should really be avoided for a number of good reasons.

Hope this helps.

James
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

Quote Originally Posted by JStewart View Post
    Regarding e-stop use in the UK, (and Europe), there is no legal requirement for the laser manufacturer to supply an e-stop with the laser projector. Although it is good practice to, and invariably e-stops are required as part the installers/operators obligations.

What the laser supplier must do however is for all Class 3B and Class 4 laser projectors, supply the unit with an interlock connector. The requirement is that the pins must be connected together to enable light output.

The other important requirement of the laser supplier is that any Class 4 lasers must also have a power supply reset feature, meaning that an action has to be taken by the operator to enable the laser projector in the case of first turning on, a power loss or interlock break, before the laser is able to emit light.

The better laser suppliers do implement this feature as is required by the EN 60825-1:2007 and later standards, which made it a legal requirement for CE purposes since 2009. But there are still a large number of laser projection devices being supplied or made in-house that fail to meet this CE requirement. If your supplier has sold you kit without this safety feature, contact them and demand that they do. Also, they are not allowed to list it as an optional (chargeable) extra either. For that would be like a car manufacturer selling a vehicle as standard without seat belts, and having them listed as an optional chargeable extra.

Stanwax’s PCBs are a quick and low cost way of adding the feature yourself to a projector that you have self built. I put some details on it on this link. http://www.lvroptical.com/blog_PushTheButton.htm

BTW - there is NO requirement in the UK or Europe for the supplier to have a delayed start feature on the laser. This in not in the safety standard.

Ultimately, the better laser systems supply a remote that acts as an e-stop and also provides the power supply reset function as a separate switch.

Having the e-stop cut the mains power should really be avoided for a number of good reasons.

Hope this helps.

James
    100% agree. This is why I run stanwax boards in ALL my lasers. I just ordered another 10 boards yesterday. They also support a daisy chainable estop. So one estop can control 1 projector or 100.

Johnathon Vigrass

Quote Originally Posted by JStewart View Post
    Hope this helps.

James
    That's what we needed thanks for the correction, guess the stanwax delay is just a bonus.

Is the keylock a requirement? I had assumed it was from the number of lasers sold with them and it just seems smart
    Dynamics/EasyLase LC/FD820/RGB 400mW Homebrew w/EMS4ks

I agree, although this is how the (I believe soon to be replaced/updated) Stanwax boards operate, and it caught me out last year as I had 'presumed' (my own fault for not reading the docs) that they cut the modulation as the boards I'd been using previously did.
    From what I know, the new boards will cut modulation too (not sure if he's replacing or augmenting the functionality)

Yes, the keyswitch is a requirement, but it could be a remote one if the projector is inaccessible. Unless the projector will ALWAYS be inaccessible, it makes sense to put one on the projector anyway, and then let the situation dictate whether its required, or a remote one.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.