Thread: 2w with 0.8 mrad vs 3w with 1.3 mrad?

Default 2w with 0.8 mrad vs 3w with 1.3 mrad?

Speaking purely of in air beam brightness would there be much perceived difference between two RGB lasers, one with 2w, 0.8 mrad and 3.5 mm diameter and the other 3w, 1.3 mrad and 3mm diameter?

... the 3W-laser will be much brighter on the first hundred meters

Viktor

Not true, after only 5 meters the power density of the 2W beam already becomes higher (4527 vs 4232 mW/cm2) so the theoretical apparent brightness is already higher for the 2W laser.

Think that you need 4-5x the power to effectively double the apparent brightness of a laser beam, so you may better work on another parameter to make your lasers brigher.

Also as you speak about *RGB* lasers you need to check which wavelength is responsible of this 1W power increase. I.e. if it is only more blue, and red+green are equal, then you gain almost 0 extra brightness !

Sebastien

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... the 3W-laser will be much brighter on the first hundred meters

Viktor

I know you said purely in terms of brightness... but assuming it's part of an RGB projector, go for the once which matches your other sources closest
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

These are of course the competing specs between the laserworld ds3300 and the lightspace venus 2

The venus uses 473nm blue so will be be brighter per W than the laserworld one, and the power balance seems more sane. Chucking in a lot of cheap blue is a good way of getting the wattage up, but a bit of an illusion
    Dynamics/EasyLase LC/FD820/RGB 400mW Homebrew w/EMS4ks

The venus uses 473nm blue
    Have they really gone back to DPSS technology, or do you mean 462nm?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I do, I do.... I should have just said "not the dark one", wouldn't have screwed that up.
    Dynamics/EasyLase LC/FD820/RGB 400mW Homebrew w/EMS4ks

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I don't know that much about the Laserworld unit. I've likely seen in in person at SELEM but, I don't recall what the output looked like. What I do know however, is that the Venus II is a very nice unit and you would be quite pleased with it. I almost think nicer than the Pluto II which was a very hot selling projector of theirs awhile back.
    PM Sent...

You are right, the 3w is the Laserworld DS 3300 RGB but the 2w is the Swisslas PM 2000 RGB LD.
    I have read all the good things about the Venus 2 and Pluto 2, and all the bad about Laserworld. The Venus 2 is top of the list so far but i'm no where near ready to buy yet so am just trying to learn as much as i can before making any decision.
    Although maybe i can stretch to the Swisslas.