Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10??

Exclamation Windows 10??

Ok as I'm sure most of you have seen, windows 10 seems to be taking over everything now.... I was happy running 8.1 and still have it on 2 servers i run...
    But here the funny part...
    I "had" a very nice ultra book, i5 8gigs ram, 250ssd ect.
    Had it was about 2 years,had windows 8 on it then it was upgraded to 8.1, worked great!! Well long story short... company lost the main business computer, bad motherboard. So I was using the ultra book to run quickbooks "which come to find out doesn't like running on a iMac" which was just replaced with a iMac, thankfully everything was always backed up. So i went to use the ultra book turned it on and saw the windows 10 upgrade load bar for just a sec. then it rebooted 2x and said no os found...!!!! I was like ok...let me see if i can restore it....wrong...apparently 10 reformatted the SSD!!!!! So i called microsoft...."hahahaha" Here is what they said..." your laptop is not compatible with windows 10, and you need to do a reinstall of your 8" I said i don't have that bc it was on the restore part of the SSD, and they then said "you need to call the manufacture of the laptop" and then hung up on me!!!!!
    Anyone else have this wonderful experience??
    Which is why i just bought a Macbook Pro!!
    ok I'm done...lol
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Windows 10 was pretty crappy at first but with the updates it is working pretty well on my laptop. Their Edge browser that comes with it is complete junk, though.

That's pretty sad that they just hung up on you. You probably were talking to a low end tech that had no clue. But, probably not worth escalating it since there isn't anything they can do to restore your SSD now.

I still have XP on my laser PC, bc it just works...lol It only goes online to update QM2000.
    As for SSD ill most likely put 8 back on it,but it really isn't needed now..lol
    He has no clue....but the whole hang up on me thing was just like really.. i wasn't even mad at that point..lol
    I wonder if windows 3.1 would run on it..lol!!!!
    Im going to stick with apple now..lol
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Personally I wouldn't touch 10 with a barge pole.

Trouble with Windows now as I see it, is they've targeted the mobile device market so what you have is essentially a mobile OS on a desktop platform to make data integration easier. That's what Win 8 and those icons were all about. Win 10 goes further in that instead of programs it uses apps. Great, apart from now the privacy of your desktop is compromised because everyone from Microsoft themselves to every individual app maker, now can compromise your privacy. Even the list to MS is potentially quite invasive:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...ion-Statistics

log your internet browser history, keystrokes, Cortana questions and requests, display advertisements within your Start Menu and even control your bandwidth usage.
    According to other reports, it allegedly might record what web sites you visit, what photos you view including possibly their content (do you want people viewing your family etc?), and all this is supposed to be related to it's core health. Since when did web addresses, photos and what you typed in affect system stability?

You reportedly can't disable it either this side of a registry hack, which no doubt MS could reverse quietly at any time during one of the updates or with their monthly malware removal tools, plus updates are compulsory.

Then of course you have every app you put on there which if anything like apps on a phone, will require permission to access everything from your address book, to web cams, browsing history and dog's birthday.....so tens to hundreds of companies also now have the potential to mine your data.

Personally, I'm on 7 and staying here. Assuming MS continue down the path of an app based mobile OS, then I too will probably be switching to MAC in the future. I can just about live with losing smart phone data as it's useful outweighs the risk and there's very little personal data on the average phone, but it's very different on a desktop where everything from online purchase card numbers, to CV's to everything else private could potentially be logged.

Windows 10 gives me soon many reasons that i'm happy I changed over to Mac a couple of years ago

Unfortunately, I do have to have some contact with Win 10, but after every update that is forced on us it's a complete gamble as to whether your programs will continue to function or not. The updates a couple of days a go killed off yet another program I use
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Just for balance's sake I have no problems with 10 and find it more stable than 8/8.1

Might be 'cos I was an early upgrade so I get the option to delay updates until the rest of the world has beta-tested it for me tho

You can turn off all the insecure bits, at least enough to not worry unless you've got something really 'interesting' on there, but it is a bit of an effort. I don't trust Apple at all
    Dynamics/EasyLase LC/FD820/RGB 400mW Homebrew w/EMS4ks

There's a very interesting report published a few weeks ago regarding the secret behaviour of windows 10; apparently, even with all the known hacks and tools used, it still leaks information; the guy who wrote the report was monitoring his network trafic and found whatever he did, it would sent hashed files to a variety of websites. He did some digging and found vast numbers of websites owned by Microsoft, a number of companies owned by Microsoft who in turn had vast numbers of websites and a large number of websites that used an anonymiser service for the whois entries but had some specific information that pointed to them being managed by the same companies as the other websites; I believe in all, he estimated the number of sites exceeded a million! With that many sites gathering data, there's no chance of blocking them all.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Personally I wouldn't touch 10 with a barge pole.

Trouble with Windows now as I see it, is they've targeted the mobile device market so what you have is essentially a mobile OS on a desktop platform to make data integration easier.
    That is pretty far from the truth. There isn't much else to say.

I've got a pair of show laptops and some general use/gaming ones all on 10 now and its been nothing but excellent.
    I went for 10 as soon as i got offered it, and it was much better than 8.1
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    That is pretty far from the truth. There isn't much else to say.
    I believe that's what MS said at the time, and that's what the wiki states: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8

Windows 8 introduced major changes to the operating system's platform and user interface to improve its user experience on tablets,