Thread: Laserwave 1w 532

Default Laserwave 1w 532

Hi guys

I have a 1w dpss from Laserwave that is way under 1w. can anyone explain to me how this works? Then i might could figure out what is wrong. I know that the 808 diode is working, and the driver is fine to. But i get under 50mw green out of it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laserwave.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	49530

Start with the driver. It controls both temperature and 808nm pump diode current. Is the diode outputting around 3W? What is the temperature control current doing when the unit starts up? It should be heating. If the heating function is interrupted by you it should be unable to reach the set temperature and will continue to heat.

If you are getting around 3 W of pump power and the heating function is operating then it is probably alignment.

I agree entirely with Mr. P ..but....I am also intrigued... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	49539 .. just how exactly, do you "know that the 808 diode is working, and the driver is fine"
    Cheers

Hey guys

I have a few other modules I've tried the same driver and they work fine.

I know the 808 diode works because I can measure the power consumption is the same af on the one that works.

What transverse mode are you getting? If it's still TEM00, then problem might be (but not definitely) somewhere else, but If it's far away from TEM00 it's definitely alignment.

Most probably it's alignment issue. Since inside 532 there's the 2nd harmonic of 1064 generated, even a slight shift in alignment drops the output dramatically... I have 7 modules of 532 from Medialas or CNI, and I already had to realign them all. Don't know about others, but I think Laserwave is not much different.

I agree with sandstorm. Regarding 808nm output, the diode current does not relate to IR output. A non functional diode can draw the same power.

CCD cameras will pick up 808nm light very easily. You might want to use a camera to see if the "visual" light output from the diode is the same as one of your other lasers. Of course, you need to be *extremely* cautious about running any of these lasers with the cover off e.g. don't try it unless you have safety glasses for 808nm and 1064nm light. If the "visual" brightness on the camera is dramatically less, you may have a bad diode.

I'd have to agree with the other guys though, probably alignment. Does the output vary greatly as it warms up?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Incidentally, what is the diode current on one of these 1W units? I have one that somebody fiddled with the current setting, so I need to put it back to the correct ballpark figure.