Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do they get away with it?

Default How do they get away with it?

How does a company like:http://assassinlasers.com/ get away with selling this stuff to the public? Are they outside the US and just breaking laws? I see no mention of specific power levels, does that get them out of having to post up the laser safety-speak in their advertising? The front page warns against shining them at aircraft but makes no mention of eyeballs. I guess it's been this way for a while eh? SMH

Lightbulb

Well, Sir Rick the simple answer, is that teh Interwebz is just much, much bigger than the FDA.. But, you can always 'do your duty', and use this: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/ReportaProblem/ucm059315.htm

..Do they 'pay attention' / log the complaints / respond? Well, one-such use of - that very-form / page - directly led to this long-overdue action: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...13-V-0903-0003 ..So, it Can, and Does, work / produce results..

..Since their 'Contact Us' info is 'conveniently sparse', Whois shows: http://www.whois.com/whois/assassinlasers.com ..but, perhaps a simple email to their e-link, can yield a requested Phone number / 'are you in the USA' / 'do I have to worry about customs', yada yada, and proceed / submit, from-there..

Fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

don't worry much, the pointer on there page is a hunk of crap, they do about 20 mw so they are still illegal to use in "public". correct me if i am wrong but that is the loop hole some companies use, they sometimes advertise them as parts to a system but as a complete laser they are illegal to use in public, in your own home is a bit different., i am sure alot of us have projectors that come under the illegal if used in the public domain.

aside from that the website listed i believe is fraudulent, the lasers are over priced and the beam pictures enhanced with editing software so if anything report them for that.
    God i wish people would stop blaming pointers for the stupid acts that people do
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    don't worry much, the pointer on there page is a hunk of crap, they do about 20 mw so they are still illegal to use in "public". correct me if i am wrong but that is the loop hole some companies use, they sometimes advertise them as parts to a system but as a complete laser they are illegal to use in public, in your own home is a bit different., i am sure alot of us have projectors that come under the illegal if used in the public domain.

aside from that the website listed i believe is fraudulent, the lasers are over priced and the beam pictures enhanced with editing software so if anything report them for that.
    God i wish people would stop blaming pointers for the stupid acts that people do
    Much like "Guns dont kill people. People kill people."
    This space for rent.

Indeed

15 chartures
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Lol, their page now comes advertised on Facebook for me since I've visited their site before. Their Facebook promotes shining their lasers in the sky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

yeah that kinda sucks

What are they doing that's wrong?

I'm guessing power levels. Restricted to 5mw or less without a specific variance to allow the restricted sale. Lasers sold without the variance are illegal by the looks of it.

http://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/transpar.../ucm302664.htm