Thread: Startech Question

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Startech Question

I'm finally opening the Startech USB extender purchased from a member a few months back and have a question for those that have used them. I connected the Cat5e cable to both boxes, supplied power to the transmitting unit and plugged it into the USB port. The computer (Windows 10) did nothing. Doesn't ding or, have anything pop up or, have anything new show up in Device Manager. Should I? Also, when applying power to the transmitting unit, should I expect to see any of the indicator lights work on the remote unit? I didn't see any lights on it or the FB3 light up either.
    I'm going to try a second PC but figured I'd ask first. There doesn't appear to be any available drivers or anything. It's just supposed to work..... famous last words.
    PM Sent...

Never mind. Got it working. Although the instructions say you can apply the AC power to either the transmitter or receiver, it worked when plugged into the receiving end. Pretty slick!
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Never mind. Got it working. Although the instructions say you can apply the AC power to either the transmitter or receiver, it worked when plugged into the receiving end. Pretty slick!
    Yep, I power my receiver too, that's where all the power-hungry junk is located

I like your idea of having the FB3's and Entec box all running through it. I also use a Chauvet Showxpress and figure that's one less long DMX cord run. I'm already trying to figure how to route a cable from one end of the ballroom here to the other. I was up popping ceiling tiles and trying to see down walls and such last week.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I like your idea of having the FB3's and Entec box all running through it. I also use a Chauvet Showxpress and figure that's one less long DMX cord run. I'm already trying to figure how to route a cable from one end of the ballroom here to the other. I was up popping ceiling tiles and trying to see down walls and such last week.
    Brad,

I run startechs and all my FB3s and Entech on it. I have run 2 entechs and 8 FB3s on my mine. Hit me up and I can help you with any issues you might have with it.

Johnathon

So far, so good on the Bulk Cat5 I used for FoH snake. It's 50 conductor, 25-pair. The grouping within the cable is 4 sets of 4-pair (so these can deliver in-spec cat5e bandwidth), and 3 sets of 3-pair which can be used for carrying signals that don't require the protections that things like gig-ethernet require, so these can be useful for E-Stop, LED feedback, etc. I've been very happy with the Startechs for the last several years, but the FB4 is quite an allure especially since it will free up one of my FOH lanes and give me a spare in case anything goes wrong in my FOH snake. Crimping/fitting all of the neutrik ethercon ends gets to be a pain, especially if you break your cable run up into multiple segments. Not especially cheap, but very nice to only have to run a single cable to FoH.