Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To wire money or not to wire money?

Default To wire money or not to wire money?

So, it's a general rule of thumb to NOT wire money to anyone you don't know. So, why am I even bothering to ask? I have no idea other than hoping that the vendor is trustworthy. I am going to really stretch here and ask if anyone knows or has done business with http://www.bestalu.com? They sell the honeycomb I need to start work on my new fogscreen. I emailed them for a quote for the materials I need and they responded with a competitive price. When terms of payment came up, it was Western Union of MoneyGram only. That always throws up a hugantic red flag. They look like they have been around for a bit but it's hard to find any information on them, let alone a review. Unfortunately, the materials I am looking to buy are pretty exotic outside of manufacturing or scientific.

I am pretty sure I know the answer but what do you guys think? Should I give them a shot? We're only talking about $150 here so, it's not like I am breaking the bank. Still though, getting burned sucks!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

many chinese vendors i've interacted with claim they only accept wire transfers, but will also accept paypal if you cover the fees.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    So, it's a general rule of thumb to NOT wire money to anyone you don't know. So, why am I even bothering to ask? I have no idea other than hoping that the vendor is trustworthy. I am going to really stretch here and ask if anyone knows or has done business with http://www.bestalu.com? They sell the honeycomb I need to start work on my new fogscreen. I emailed them for a quote for the materials I need and they responded with a competitive price. When terms of payment came up, it was Western Union of MoneyGram only. That always throws up a hugantic red flag. They look like they have been around for a bit but it's hard to find any information on them, let alone a review. Unfortunately, the materials I am looking to buy are pretty exotic outside of manufacturing or scientific.

I am pretty sure I know the answer but what do you guys think? Should I give them a shot? We're only talking about $150 here so, it's not like I am breaking the bank. Still though, getting burned sucks!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks, Chris. I hadn't thought of that. I'll see if they'll take that offer. Fees are what, 10%?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Thanks, Chris. I hadn't thought of that. I'll see if they'll take that offer. Fees are what, 10%?
    i think it's about 3%.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

My thinking is that since it's only $150, it's probably worth the risk of trying. As mentioned, you have limited sources. The website seems pretty well put together and not really a hack job. I realize than means nothing but, at least nothing appears shady to me at least. I get a bit nervous wiring large sums of money in general too... even when I sort of know them. I often do that with Lightspace but it's still a bit nerve wracking. A large transaction over 4 years ago has made me perhaps a bit more gun shy about the whole finality of wiring money to people.
    PM Sent...

Thanks for the advice guys. If they decline the PayPal offer I made, I'll probably end up pulling the trigger. I am waiting for one more price quote from a US company before I proceed.

I thought the same thing about the look and good english on their site. They "seem" legit so, I'll give it a try.

unrelated but related, I once wired a guy in Scotland $1000 to send me the used transmission out of a Golf Diesel (not available in US for that model year) from a junkyard. Crazy? Maybe... but now I have a VW that will do 210+ mph in 6th

Storal of the morey: GO FOR IT!

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    unrelated but related, I once wired a guy in Scotland $1000 to send me the used transmission out of a Golf Diesel (not available in US for that model year) from a junkyard. Crazy? Maybe... but now I have a VW that will do 210+ mph in 6th

Storal of the morey: GO FOR IT!
    How many weeks does it take to get there though?

So, it turns out that they were willing to accept PayPal but after all the negotiating was done, they told me that they had a 3pcs minimum order... *sigh*. It makes no difference, I finally got a quote from a company here in the US and the cost is more but with the shipping, it stays pretty competitive. So, that's the end of that. I won't even need to order from the Chinese company. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

When dealing with chinese sellers resort to paypal unless there is a protection system in between you and them through a service.