Thread: Cheap front coated mirrors (tip)

Default Cheap front coated mirrors (tip)

I dont know if people know about the cheapest way to get them. I knew it for some time and use it in my shows all the time. Old Polaroids.
    Especially this one
    Other types are fine but mirror will be little bit smaller.
    Go to your local Value Village Good wheel whatever second hand store. You will find at least 5-6 there. Buy them. They will be about ~1$ each. Use a screwdriver open them up and extract 3X2.5 inches both fronts coated mirror.
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 06-16-2007 at 09:09.

Smile

Clever idea! I always knew the polaroid cameras had those mirrors in them, but never even considered buying one and taking it apart to salvage the mirrors. And you're right, those cameras are dirt cheap these days - at least at thrift stores.

Hmmm... I might need to head on down to the Goodwill store later this afternoon!

Adam

Disc platters from 2.5" laptop hard disk drives make excellent fs mirrors but are usually made on a glass substrate that is a bugger to cut to any useful shape. It seems that its is like tougened automobile window glass in that its made with tension in the glass. As soon as you upset that it just breaks appart. You can get usefil fragments out of them but its not ideal. Thats why I have some mirrors of very odd shapes

Rob

Old photocopiers are my usual source. I just got three 12" * 1.5" front surfaced , out of a xerox, spotted in a skip

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

yes also scanners and laser printers though they do all tend to have very thick glass in them 3-5mm thick so no good for scanners

Rob

found these
    http://www.mwklasers.com/fs2n2.htm

these will be just what i need for my beambox upgrade.
    i'm going to use the adjustable mirror mount from and old beamsplitter module i have,stick one of these on it and use it for the 90 degree bounce into the beambox.

ten bucks is way less than i thought i would have to spend.
    i'm glad i remembered i had that mount.

I said...CHEAP... really cheap but still usable. Most of the stuff you mentioned is expensive.
    Laser printers don't have a big mirror... its .4 inch by 6 inches. Photocopiers are ok but where you can get a photocopier for 1$. Scanners have same type mirrors as laser printers. And 1.3X.9 inches are WAY too small.

Another sources for cheap front coated mirrors are library microfilm viewers and old film manual editors.

PS. To do a good beam show you need at least 10 mirrors and about 5 5 inch disco balls.
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 06-18-2007 at 11:37.

This guy on ebay looks to have good prices.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/vette4jja30

1" x 1" are about $1
    3" x 3" will run you about $5

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    Photocopiers are ok but where you can get a photocopier for 1$
    A Dollar! Hell, come over to my warehouse and I'll load a whole truck load of them up for free! Copiers are a great source for optical components, motors, power supplys. I have some huge flashlamp power supplies from the big guys. Laser diodes are ysually pretty weak and useless wavelengths. like 35mW @ 780nm. The best machines are the big ass ancient Xerox printers! They have ALC 60X heads and power supplies.