Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 10 - August 9th through the 14th, 2016 - Sign up now!

Thumbs up SELEM 10 - August 9th through the 14th, 2016 - Sign up now!

10th annual South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting (SELEM)
    Tuesday, August 9th through Sunday, August 14th
    at the Newton-Conover Auditorium in Newton, North Carolina.

Register via Paypal: selempayment@gmail.com
    Be sure to include your shirt size!

Early registration – now through May 31st (Guaranteed a shirt) $99 Early Registration is now closed!
    Standard registration - June 1st through July 26th (Guaranteed a shirt) $129 Standard Registration is now closed!
    Late registration or at the door – July 27th through the end of the event (no guarantee of a shirt) $149

Please note that registration fees are non-refundable.

================================================== ==========================

Guests are free to attend. Generally, guests are family or friends of the people who attend, and generally share some interest in lasers, but are not laserists themselves.

Teenage children are allowed to attend if they are old enough to follow rules and be responsible. Young children (under 13) are discouraged from attending, and may only attend if they are continually supervised by a parent or guardian.

Liability waivers (see attached) will be required for all persons (this includes registered attendees and all guests). Minors will need a parent or guardian to sign their waiver. When you arrive, go to the loading dock entrance first and sign your waiver at the sign-in table in the hallway.

Once your waiver is signed, you will be issued a lanyard with a name badge, and if you registered in time (before July 26th) you will receive your official SELEM shirt. (Extra shirts for yourself or your guests are completely optional and may be purchased in advance for $20.)

Also, just a reminder that ABSOLUTELY NO WEAPONS OF ANY KIND, ESPECIALLY FIREARMS, WILL BE PERMITTED AT SELEM. THIS INCLUDES ALL INDOOR SPACES AS WELL AS THE OUTDOOR AREAS SURROUNDING THE AUDITORIUM AND THE SCHOOL. If you have a concealed-carry permit, leave your weapon in your car and don't park it on the auditorium block.

Now, for the details: First, the obvious question: Why did the price go up? Well, for one, we made the event 33% larger by adding an entirely new space for this year (the gymnasium across from the cafeteria). Also, we added another full day to the event so things aren’t so rushed. All of this adds to the budget.

Event schedule:

Tuesday, August 9th. Load-in and set-up. Start at 10 AM, run until 6 PM. We will be setting up 3 spaces this year: in the Auditorium, the former Cafeteria, and the old Gymnasium (new space for this year).
    Wednesday, August 10th through Saturday, August 13th. Start at 10 AM, run until Midnight. Typical SELEM activities running all day in multiple areas.
    Sunday, August 14th. Start at 10 AM, run until 6 PM. Pack-up, load-out, clean-up, and say your goodbye’s. May have some short presentations in the morning.

General layout:

Auditorium will be used for running pre-choreographed graphics and abstract shows, along with pre-choreographed multi-projector beam shows. At least one Z-5 analog console will be in here, along with several solid state projectors (for both beams and graphics), a dedicated Kr/Ar mixed-gas whitelight laser with two scan heads for graphics, and new for this year: a pair of full color ion lasers on stage for beam effects!

Cafeteria area will be the new "enthusiast display space", or as I like to call it, the show-off room! The focus will be on home-made projectors, modules, and other cool items, but there may be a space for one or two commercial products to be displayed as well. (Note: this is not a trade show. Any commercial displays are to be low-key and in good taste, in keeping with the hobbyist/enthusiast character of this event.) We will definitely have a Z-5 console in here, and maybe a few other interactive displays too. Some presentations will be done in the cafeteria, especially those that will be more interactive. General projector maintenance should also be performed in this space.

Gymnasium will be used for “Club-SELEM”, and will be dedicated to live beam shows. Open consoles will be available for those who want to try their hand at running a show "live". We may have one or two presentations in this space related to live show control.

Stage area (behind the main curtain) will be the new buy / sell / trade area. (Finally, more room for everyone's stuff!) There may also be some quick projector repair going on here, but most of that should be done either in the cafeteria (for solid state) or the Men's dressing room (for ion lasers requiring 3 phase power and water).

Men's dressing room will be the ion laser work room, as before. Exposed high voltage and high-power beams in this room! Always ask before entering if the door is closed.

Woman’s dressing room will be used for drinks, food, and snacks storage. (Trying to remove the clutter from the main hallway.)

Gallery area (lobby) will be used for training and demonstration presentations.

Presentations:

We have several topics on-deck for this year, including some old favorites (scanner tuning, projector 101, LSX tips and tricks, What’s new at Pangolin, etc) and some new ones like live beam-show control ideas, tips to using Beyond, and something I like to call “so you want to start a laser business”. We are also open to suggestions for new topics, so if you would like to see something specific (or if you would like to volunteer to put on a presentation), please reply below!

Greg Makhov is available to teach the ILDA Laser Safety Officer training class on Monday, August 15th, this year. Cost is $425 per person for ILDA members, or $495 per person for non-members. We need a minimum of 6 people to sign up in order to hold the class. Payment must be made directly to ILDA using the ILDA website. (Contact Patrick Murphy at mail@laserist.org for details on how to do this.)
    EDIT: It appears that there were not enough people interested to make the class happen. Sorry folks!

This will be the 10th anniversary of SELEM, and several people have been working hard behind the scenes to ensure that this SELEM is the best ever. We have received lots of feedback about past events, and this year we have tried to incorporate as many of those suggestions into the event as we could. That is one of the reasons behind the expanded schedule and the extra space for this year. Sorry about the price increase, but the budget for SELEM is now in excess of 4 grand, so the price had to go up a bit. I promise that it will be worth it though!

Adam

EDIT: If you want to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Conover, we have a group rate available: $95 per night for either a single king bed or two queen beds. Note also that they have all new beds, new TVs, and new Keurig coffee machines in all rooms for this year. Call (828) 465-7070 and mention that you are with the "SELEM LASER GROUP" to get the special rate.

List of Registered Attendees:
    Buffo
    Ekeefe
    Bradfo69
    Rodman1369
    Lazerjock
    Hitekvoop
    HankLloydRight
    Discothefunkyhippo
    SaltyRobot
    Dkumpula
    Telmnstr
    Rvto3
    Flecom
    DZ
    Firstlight_Mike
    AnthonyGarcia
    DanBarlow
    Icecruncher
    Chexmex
    Xtaega
    Laserlotus
    Whitcher88
    Guitar Jerry
    KANG
    Laser3Dguy
    AllThatWhichIs
    Imagelight
    ILDADirect
    Stuka
    Mattronium
    CountFunkula
    Laserman121
    Lulighttech
    Fog-Man
    Stuckinparadox
    Joe Hopkins
    Swamidog
    Laserworld
    BlueFang
    Stefan
    MarioMaster
    Jeff (Jefferythe00)
    Lumia
    Echelon
    SingleMode
    A. R. Gon
    SoulFeast
    RGB-Gas
    Rns0504
    Pangolin
    Araugh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SELEMrelease2016.pdf  

Last edited by buffo; 08-07-2016 at 13:12. Reason: Updated attendee list

Hello,

Payment sent!

ED

I'll be damned! Someone finally beat Brad to be the first to register!

Well done, Ed. Got you on the list!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by ekeefe View Post
    Hello,

Payment sent!

ED

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Geez.... You could have given me a heads up! Not like we weren't talking for four hours today. ��

Payment sent.... Duh.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 04-09-2016 at 19:44.
    PM Sent...

I have submitted the required sum.
    I told my wife I had put in for leave in AUGUST for SELEM...She REMINDED me that I am Supposed to RETIRE in JULY!
    So...She Said I Shouldn't give up my pleasures after retirement...as long as I prepare and plan my resources accordingly...and I believe I have done that or I wouldn't be retiring!!! So...SELEM 10 is a portion of my Continuing Retirement Celebration!

Thumbs up

Congratulations, Rodney! So this will be your first "retired SELEM"... Cool!

And Brad, I honestly wasn't sure if I would end up posting on Saturday or not, which is why I didn't mention it when we were on Skype. But I had the time later in the evening so I went ahead and did it.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

No worries.... (Don't let that shit happen again. lol)
    Congrats Rodney! I wonder if the day will happen that I'll be able to go to SELEM as a retired person. Probably not, as my "retirement" is a large pile of flight cases, half empty bottles of haze fluid, and extension cords.
    PM Sent...

Payment Sent!
    This one is going to be the greatest SELEM yet! I can feel it.
    Chris

Has the Holiday Inn been notified we are returning......like locusts?
    Or do they just know and give us the special rate?

Good catch, Chris. I haven't contacted the Holiday Inn Express yet. Will probably do that Monday...

Adam