Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody ride motorcycles?

Cool Anybody ride motorcycles?

I figured I'd ask since I got one today. I'm trying to minimize my "carbon foot print" as much as possible. A hybrid just didn't fit into the budget.

I took my riders class last week, endorsement on Friday and shopping today... I'm not a very good shopper though. I I did go to two dealerships though.

It is a "girl's" bike, but I have a girlish figure...

I really don't like red, but the first dealership wouldn't let me test drive one... and they took $500 off so I can paint it different later. I also have the driving light kit and a LED blinking break light kit coming so I can beed seem better.

I'm still a lil nervous but that's what will keep me alive. That and watching for people who don't see me. I felt pretty good after the 30+ mile trip home and another 20 or so in town. I didn't really want to get a bike but dont see another way to be enviormently friendly and have a job 30 miles away. It is another bug though... once your bit... Maybe I can mount lasers on it. Anyone else here hooked also?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Smile

Hey Allthat!

I had a bike for a while, 5 years in total. It was a Yamaha SRX 600 which is a one-cylinder thumper and has the cafe-racer look. It wasn't that fast but very manuevrable and since I mainly rode it in town it was a perfect little bike and had loads of fun with it. Got scared once when an oil spill on the road made me slide. It was at a fairly slow speed but in full traffic so coudn't see it. No personal harm and the bike just had some bent part but it shook me up. So be carefull, especially when mounting lasers to it, better make sure they are well protected
    Just thinking back of those times brings a smile on my face, you're right it is another bug...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails srx600_s.jpg  

Nice bike. Your right . It needs a spray job. Red never did it for me. I'm currently rebuilding a Honda CB500/4 K2 , from 1972. A US spec model , in Black.

I had a CB750/4 K7 in the seventies, amongst many others, so it's a bit of a mid -life crisis thing, reliving my youth !! Born to be wild and all that !!

Probably had about twenty bikes in total, but never a girly Harley . The Bonneville and CB750 four were my favourites.

At tip to keep you alive. Assume everyone that drives a car is an idiot that hasn't seen you !

Have fun, and be safe !

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Cool

Hey Fluff;

Another Honda CB fan! I had a CB900 special when I was in High School. Shaft drive, Vetter Rooster fairing, and the city/hwy secondary gears. (Which gave you 10 effective gears.) Nice bike, though a bit tall with the in-line 4's, and kinda heavy too. Still, it had enough grunt to get out of its own way and then some.

I only had it for 4 months though. My Mom totally freaked out when I got it, and wanted me to get rid of it from day 1. (This is after I'd been riding in the dirt for over 7 years without incident.) When I decided to join the Navy my Dad offered to buy it from me (made me an offer I couldn't refuse). Of course, as soon as I left home, he sold it (at a loss). It was all a plan to get me off a bike and into a car. I haven't owned a bike since. Sigh...

Aaron: Congratulations! The bike looks great. And I don't care what color it is. It's a Harley. 'nuff said! Have fun with it dude. (Now go out and buy yourself a good set of leathers to go with that new helmet...)

Adam

hehe here is my baby

1999 Kawasaki ZX9R

I dig the low carbon foot print. I drive my bike when ever I can. There is 27k on it now.

Best thing is to gear up. I've know too many friends that have went down for the dumbest reasons. Most weren't there fault. You wouldn't believe what even a 15mph skid would do to your face. And Remember Drivers can't see you.

Have fun. Ride safe.

Now that said check this out.. This is me being a total nut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar2cqSIgB4Y

Hehe funny, I have its little sister
    (drivetrack prepared by its old owner)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00071_small.jpg  

Thumbs up

Thank y'all! I may grab a white tank and a blue back fender and be patriotic... Ever notice "riot" is in the middle of that... I really want to paint it glow inthe dark white and throw as many LEDs on it as I can since I work nights. Maybe a spot light shooting straight up off the back fender. Everybody laughs when I say that but a large part of me is serious if it is legal.

My cousin's first bike was a Yamaha SRX 600.

My girlfriend has mentioned mid-life crisis a couple of times lately... I like to think I have never grown up.

I was going to get a armor jacket, but everything with harley on it cost too much to be made in china, so I decided to wait till I can swing by somewhere else. Plus it was all black... Looks cool but the worst color to wear on a bike. Who's idea was that? James Deam or something...

I saw a site, "Live to Ride, Ride to die"... It was... disturbing. Everyone else IS an id10t, and it seems a lot of bike riders feel invincable on thier bikes. I feel like a parachut at anything above 60, and don't feel comfortable over 75 at all. I know that will change over time, but my goal is not to drive this thing like my car. I prefer the term "Offencive Driver" over aggressive driver when speaking of my car driving. It is the opposite of defencive driving and garrenteed to offend someone. I also found 65 degree air at 65 miles an hour is cold... And fog sucks!

DjDevNull, those cars you are passing look like they are parked. Totally nuts, but I bet the speed rush is close to orgasmic...

I like green... I know I would want to do that nuts above did if I had a sport bike, hence the sportster. My cousin has a Buell Lightning... something. He wanted me to buy it from him at first, but that beast scares me, and I cant touch the ground when sitting on it. Rough on the jewels that way...

Well I had to do it. I dug out an old pic of me with my RM250. This was my third dirt bike the first was a Penton 250 the second was a Honda CR250.
    I also had a chopped Honda 1971 K1 750. If I can find a pic of that bike I will post it. It was a sweet bike.

Last edited by Astroguy; 06-19-2007 at 09:52.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Wow, are you a Power Ranger !?

Sorry, couldn't help myself !

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Cool

OMG! Fred, you look like a kid in that picture!

An RM 250, eh? Nice ride. When I was riding in the dirt, I had a KD 175. Not as much suspension travel, and not quite as much grunt as your bike, but it got the job done. (Of course, this was back in the *early* 1980's... Bikes were just getting good when I got out of the dirt and got on the street.)

BTW, I like your suit. Yeah, it might make you look like a power ranger, but it would have saved your ass if you had wadded up in a corner...

Adam