Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential Bad News for Drone Enthusiasts

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

It gets interesting, US Congress is trying to pass a combined aviation bill that will direct FAA to allow package delivery drones within two years of passage.
    !

I can see it now, big a$$ package drone lands in bad neighborhood, locals quickly disable telemetry and it disappears. "Jawa Style" coming soon to a tech savvy neighborhood near you..
    !
    One of the major issues is there is not enough reserved RF communications bandwidth for massive commercial use of drones in the US..
    The frequencies that are desirable for this task are being gobbled up by cell phone companies at auction.
    !
    They tied the drone act to a highly desired aviation bill that is being lobbied for by some heavy hitters and private pilots...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

in one of my temp jobs i worked with the turbine blades and they will chew up and spit out lipo batteries just like any other type of trash, these engines deal with much worse during normal operation

on cooling the blades they do some neat stuff, one operation i did was to use an EDM machine with graphite electrodes and burn cooling slots into the blades at strategic points, the smaller blades are hollow to allow coolant to flow though the blade, the tolerances for the cooling slots was very strict and the electrode used to cut the slots was usually only used once, some blades we could the same electrode twice. one of my friends still works there and we took samples of the nickle alloy and for the most part survived a test done with thermite, so even a large Lipo battery would not be a problem, harder metal parts from the motors might if it was a fairly large drone
    Last edited by Draco; 04-23-2016 at 02:28.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

For those of you that actually do not own or fly a Multi-Rotor Copter...
    The Li-Po batteries are housed in plastic not metal and do not explode
    like dynamite. If pierced in a significant way or shorted they will ignite
    but not explode like a bomb.

The motors used on these multi-rotors are much more likely to cause
    any physical damage to a planes engines than the Li-Po batteries.
    Then again the high speed spinning Titanium blades would probably
    shred those small motors to shreds.

The guys flying "Drones" close to airports or clearly restricted areas
    should be castrated so that they can't produce offspring with the
    same "STUPID" gene IMO.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Don't forget that some people use carbon fiber blades though for heavy payload carrying drones.

Carbon fibre = brittle; CF are brilliant in tension, much stonger kg for kg (or lb for lb) than steel, but they're crap in shear; a turbine engine would turn them into so much confetti without batting an eyelid, so to speak.