Thread: DPSS laser VS Pure Diode ?

Default DPSS laser VS Pure Diode ?

Hello All,
    Trying my hand with Laser Shows after a gap of 7 or so years!
    Now a days I see a lot of lasers projectors with Pure Diode compared to DPSS lasers.
    My question is :-
    What is the difference between the two when it comes to a good & long lasting laser projector.. Is it wise to go for a cheap Pure Diode.. will they last.
    I have MediaLas DPSS Green laser .. is it possible to change the whole laser diode (with housing) to a much higher power Pure Diode or DPSS diode without changing any other component in the projector?
    How much does a 4 to 5 watt good green laser diode cost?
    Direction to a good laser diode source will also be appreciable!
    Much Thanks !

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Welcome back.
    In theory, a diode laser should last considerably longer than DPSS. As with anything, there are trade offs. Diodes have the longevity. They're not as temperature sensitive (no warm up time). The rise and fall of DPSS modulation is non existent. Nor are things like jellybeaning and so forth. Trade off is the beam quality - rather than a nice round dot, most (higher powered) diodes tend to have a rectangular shape and require optics and other tricks such as pinholes/spatial filtering to clean up the beam.
    They'll have a MUCH smaller footprint. Some people are building laser projectors in little 8" x 8" or smaller boxes. They're cheap too.
    That being said, because the demand has fallen for DPSS, particularly green, the price has as well. You can buy a 4-5 watt green DPSS module if you're lucky for less than $1,000. There aren't green diodes in the 4-5 watt range yet but rather, a series of lesser powered diodes that are combined using things like knife edging techniques or polarizing beam splitter cubes.
    The go-to person on here for raw diodes is Jordan (DTR on the forum). Many of the parts to play with them are available from places like Dave from Lasershowparts.com. It's a whole new world if you've been out of the game for 7 years.
    (And yes.... good and long lasting - get a pure diode projector.)
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 04-25-2016 at 07:16. Reason: shpellin'
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by kamakajee View Post
    Hello All,
    Trying my hand with Laser Shows after a gap of 7 or so years!
    Now a days I see a lot of lasers projectors with Pure Diode compared to DPSS lasers.
    My question is :-
    What is the difference between the two when it comes to a good & long lasting laser projector.. Is it wise to go for a cheap Pure Diode.. will they last.
    I have MediaLas DPSS Green laser .. is it possible to change the whole laser diode (with housing) to a much higher power Pure Diode or DPSS diode without changing any other component in the projector?
    How much does a 4 to 5 watt good green laser diode cost?
    Direction to a good laser diode source will also be appreciable!
    Much Thanks !
    Hello,

We are a professional manufacturer for red, green and blue lasers, both DPSS and diode lasers, with 10+ years of experiences. Welcome to consult me.
    Professional manufacturer for High Power DPSS and Diode Lasers.
    1~8W 638nm Red
    1~8W 520nm Green
    1~20W 445/465nm Blue
    3~10W RGB laser
    http://www.lasever.com/
    Email: sales@lasever.com