Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New laser show software for poor people

Hi, this sounds like very interesting software! Is it possible that it works with dc-connected soundcards yet, with LPT ttl blanking?

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Hi, this sounds like very interesting software! Is it possible that it works with dc-connected soundcards yet, with LPT ttl blanking?
    that would be cool, talk about the poor mans DAC

Cool

Laserboy uses a sound card as a DAC to run a laser show projector. There were a couple other projects out there that used sounds cards too, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. (I thought someone here was working on one too.?.)

Adam

carmangary had one working here, but so far I see lots of description, but no links to download and test it out. Same thing with the oft-mentioned laserboy. There are lots of nice graphics on that website, and the ezfb libraries are downloadable, but laserboy itself is nowhere to be seen.

Actually, I thought it was The Doctor (Lostgallifreyan, that is) that was working on one. But maybe I'm mistaken.

James Lehman (Laserboy) is registered here, but hasn't posted in a while. I think if you E-mail him he'll send you a copy of the software. At one point he was thinking about making it a commercial product, but I don't know what happened to that plan.

Adam

I experimented with sound cards a bit but I finally just bought a Moncha DAC and forgot about it. For real time control you have to write a complicated driver and it has to deal with latency issues and variable sized buffers.

Any more news on this SW Mr Car
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Not really. I haven't been working on it much lately due to hectic work schedule and recent vacation. Also, my company is in the middle of layoffs so my head hasn't been too into it.

I planned on doing a lot of things to it before letting it out into the world but I might just add a few things and let it out earlier so that people can play with it. I can't decide how I want the effects GUI to work so that's also holding things up. One thing I don't like about some software is that everything is confusing or you have to go through a million steps to do something. I want to think things through before making those mistakes.

Would you be willing to provide the code you have already?

It's available at my website.