Thread: Advice for a newbie please

Default Advice for a newbie please

Hi all
    Don't know a thing about lasers and just purchased a KAM Laserscan 1000 3D V2
    I want to control it with my PC
    I believe I need a IDLA cable and some kind of interface
    I have looked through Sams FAQ but its a little confusing, if someone could point me in the right direction I would be most greatful
    TB2

Hi Tallboy2, it would be nice to know where your location (via your profile settings) that way others can help you operate your laser with regards to the safety laws in that location, as well as for LEMs (Laser Enthusiast Meetings).

More on your topic though, since you already have your laser projector you will need an ILDA cable and a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).

There are many kinds of DACs. Most connect to your computer via USB or Ethernet. Then the DAC is plugged into the ILDA cable, and then into your projector. This is what allows your PC to communicate with your laser projector.

Your PC will have a specific software that you can choose to buy. Some software require very specific DACs to use with their software. Others don't.

Here's a quick list of compatible DACs and software and their corresponding sites to find out more about them.
    Software: LSX, DAC(s): EtherDream, QM2K, RIYA, OLSD, EasyLase, Showtacle, Medialas, EzAudDAC, LDS, Lumax, JmLaser --- https://innolasers.com/shop/index.php
    Software: QuickShow/BEYOND, DAC(s): FB3 or FB4 --- http://pangolin.com/
    Software: Moncha, DAC(s): Showtacle Moncha, Fiesta --- http://www.showtacle.com/
    Software: Raycomposer, DAC(s): RayComposer USB --- http://www.raycomposer.de/
    Software: Spaghetti, DAC(s): Showtacle Moncha, Fiesta, RIYA, QM2000, Modified sound cards, Minilumax Light Interface --- http://www.hingednewt.com/Pages/default.aspx

I'm sure there are plenty of more softwares and DACs which are compatible. These are just a few. Most of us use some form or version of the software/DACs. I would say a fair amount of us use Pangolin Quickshow/BEYOND w/ FB3/FB4 or LSX with its respective DAC(s) to do a majority of our work. However, I don't want to make that generalization and want you to do some research and find what you think will be useful to you.

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will tune in also.

Thank you for your most useful help. I am in the UK. I have been looking at YouTube video of Quickshow and it looks quite impressive. I shall now go to their site and check out this DAC thing.

Wow those DAC things cost more than the laser itself. I have this for a 1 night only disco reunion . My question now is: is there a cost effective way to get my pc to run this light? I just want to be able to do text and a few animals maybe? So nothing too fancy.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy2 View Post
    Wow those DAC things cost more than the laser itself. I have this for a 1 night only disco reunion . My question now is: is there a cost effective way to get my pc to run this light? I just want to be able to do text and a few animals maybe? So nothing too fancy.
    Welcome to lasers. First lesson.... This is NOT an inexpensive endeavor. If this is a one night thing, I would ask on here if there are any UK members near you than might let you rent or borrow a software program and DAC for a short while. If you're going to do anything more with it, then you're going to need to be prepared to spend some money to actually run it. Regardless of what you want to do with it, you've got at least a couple hundred more pounds to spend. DO NOT... repeat... DO NOT buy iShow just because you happen to stumble across it and it looks cheap. There is a reason for that. At the very least look into a Riya DAC and program called Spaghetti. Check with "JohnYayas" on the forum.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy2 View Post
    thank you for the advice, I have a lot to think about

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yes but, I can tell you it's a fun hobby with some of the greatest people on the planet. My best and closest friends have really resulted from finding this forum. The problem is it gets addictive and the more you learn and the more you see, the more you'll want to have and be able to do yourself. It's a heck of a ride.
    PM Sent...