Thread: SDL 6460 915 nm LD

Default SDL 6460 915 nm LD

I also posted on alt.lasers, but so far no reply.

I have an SDL 6460 fiber coupled laser, and I need to obtain a fiber cable for it. It's 17 Watts @ 915 nm, with an SMA 905 connector, but I don't know what diameter fiber core I should look for. Anyone familiar with this LD?

Lightbulb

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say... most of us are interested in the visible spectrum... You may want to try CandlePowerForums, but they are mostly into handheld modules, again in the visible frequencies.

Good luck!

Have you looked on eBay? It is a crap shot but you never know. You may find one there, but it could also be broken.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say... most of us are interested in the visible spectrum... You may want to try CandlePowerForums, but they are mostly into handheld modules, again in the visible frequencies.

Good luck!

Have you looked on eBay? It is a crap shot but you never know. You may find one there, but it could also be broken.
    I'm not picky.. visible, invisible.. still interested in it if it lases. Anyway.. I bought it on eBay, but the seller has no further info. I did manage to find a data sheet in a pdf on the web somewhere, so I now know it's 600 micron fiber, with 0.37 NA.

Question

Was it the seller from "Outback" something? They have a lot of "stuff" they know nothing about. What will you do with a non visable laser? Besides burn stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Was it the seller from "Outback" something? They have a lot of "stuff" they know nothing about. What will you do with a non visable laser? Besides burn stuff...
    No, it was from srlsales, who doesn't seem to be a very good communicator. But I did receive the laser, exactly as advertised.

I'm building some machines that make art by milling/cutting/burning/marking various materials. I'm doing everytihng myself.. mechanical, electronic, optical. and software, so it's slow going. I'm a bit of a mad scientist, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pixpop View Post
    No, it was from srlsales, who doesn't seem to be a very good communicator. But I did receive the laser, exactly as advertised.

I'm building some machines that make art by milling/cutting/burning/marking various materials. I'm doing everytihng myself.. mechanical, electronic, optical. and software, so it's slow going. I'm a bit of a mad scientist, I guess.

If you are going to try to do your burning directly from a fiber it is a bad idea. If you are just using the fiber to get the beam to your focusing lens that is OK. The reason for not using the beam from the fiber is because any smoke from the burring will reflect the beam back to the fiber and melt it instantly. I know from experience.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy View Post
    If you are going to try to do your burning directly from a fiber it is a bad idea. If you are just using the fiber to get the beam to your focusing lens that is OK. The reason for not using the beam from the fiber is because any smoke from the burring will reflect the beam back to the fiber and melt it instantly. I know from experience.
    Astroguy, this is good info. In fact, I will be using a focusing lens, but I've heard this LD is sensitive to back reflections so I need to be careful. Can you give more details about what happened.. fiber size, wavelength, power, etc?

Neil