Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ILDA Conference Pricing Announced

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default ILDA Conference Pricing Announced

For those that are interested, I just noticed the pricing has been posted for this years ILDA conference in Baltimore and early registration began on May 1st and runs through June 15th. Information can be found here:

www.laserist.org

There are a few interesting added seminars this year outside of the actual conference dates, as well as the LSO class.

Two base prices are listed for members (and two for non members/spouses) - one if you're staying at the hotel and one if you are not. There is a $250 discount off registration if you're staying at the hotel.
    PM Sent...

Thanks for posting, Brad!

I plan to attend and will get my payment in before June 15th.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Correction.... the pricing differences are strictly for members/non-members and whether you're staying at the hotel or not. Spouses/guests are treated differently.
    PM Sent...

Sheesh... $523 for early registration *IF* you stay at the Sonesta hotel at $165 per night. Otherwise, if you want to stay someplace cheaper it will cost you $773 for early registration. And the prices only go up from there. (June 16th they go up $225, and another $225 on September 1st!)

So if you sign up right now, stay at the Sonesta to get the discount, and only stay Sunday night through Tuesday night, and you blow off all the optional activities and don't do the cultural tours on Wednesday or the "meet with the CDRH" on Thursday, you're still looking at $1018 to attend this conference. Oh yeah, plus travel expenses and meals. That's just not reasonable, in my opinion.

I know ILDA has said time and again that they are interested in getting new blood into the organization, but this is not the way to do it.

Adam

Yeah but.... you get to wear a suit and tie to dinner and hang with me, David and Swami. What more could you possibly ask for???
    PM Sent...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

David is cool, but swami is kind of sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Yeah but.... you get to wear a suit and tie to dinner and hang with me, David and Swami. What more could you possibly ask for???

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I can do that at SELEM for twice as long while spending half the money... And I don't have to wear the suit and tie either!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Sheesh... $523 for early registration *IF* you stay at the Sonesta hotel at $165 per night. Otherwise, if you want to stay someplace cheaper it will cost you $773 for early registration. And the prices only go up from there. (June 16th they go up $225, and another $225 on September 1st!)
    I know ILDA has said time and again that they are interested in getting new blood into the organization, but this is not the way to do it.

Adam
    I'm sure they are just trying to keep out the LPF crowd. Can't blame them.

My wife was most awesome and gave the the entry fee the year before last for a birthday gift. Unfortunately she missed the early discount price and it went to four figures. Ack!

Although it is clear that SELEM is the most awesome fun laser event and extremely affordable, I still enjoyed going to ILDA. Its the only place/time that I know of where most of the "big dogs" in the laser industry all congregate. I'll be attending this year again. Hell, I'd contribute (minimally) to your entry Adam, just to see you forced to wear a suit.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

That's steep though. I agree with buffo that it's not really attractive to get fresh blood into the conferences with this pricing especially when you also still have to pay for all kinds of travel.
    I don't know If I'll attend. (it also costs me 4 figures in euros just to fly over)

Edit - rant redacted.

Subsequent post to follow.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 05-24-2016 at 11:12.
    PM Sent...