View Poll Results: Which date(s) and which location would you prefer for SELEM 2007?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer Saturday, July 28th only at the Arts and Science center auditorium in Hickory, NC

0 0%
  • I prefer Saturday, Aug 11th and Sunday, Aug 12th at the PARI observatory near Brevard, NC

1 10.00%
  • I prefer Saturday, Aug 18th and Sunday, Aug 19th at the PARI observatory near Brevard, NC

4 40.00%
  • I'm not going; North Carolina is too far to travel for me

4 40.00%
  • I'm not going; Summertime is too busy and I can't get the time off

1 10.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is coming and where to go?

That reminds me -
    Adam, Are outdoor shows going to be allowed there?

Smile Need more specifics so I can get a rate quote

Steve-o;

I didn't even ask about outdoor shows. My guess is, probably not - simply because an outdoor show would constitute light pollution and could screw up any observations being done.

I spoke with David Clavier this morning, and he was very positive. I told him we'd decided on the 18th and 19th of August. Now we need to firm up exactly what we're going to need from the folks at PARI.

Here is a link to their rate sheet. As you can see, for $90 per day you get lodging and 3 meals + snacks & drinks. Also notice that on the bottom of the screen they have room rates. Some of the rates are a little high ($100 per day per person? ), but David assured me that he'd work out a deal that was reasonable for us.

Personally, I don't think we'll need much in the way of supervision or assistance from the staff at the observatory. Really all we need is a room with lots of power available. This is good, because it will lower the bill for us. (They will have to have someone there from the institute to open the room for us. That one person will be on the clock. Others may stop in on their own time just to see what we're doing, but they won't be required to stay.) If we want to tour the observatory, that's cool. If we want to have a star-gazing session using their telescopes, then they need to have another staff member there to handle that for us. Not sure how much more it would cost, but I think it would be a bargan. (How often do you get the chance to look through a professional telescope anyway?)

Re: Lodging... I need to know how many people will be planning on arriving Saturday, spending the night at the institute, and leaving Sunday? I assume most people will be doing this.?. However, if you want to get there early on Friday and spend Friday night at the Institute as well, David said they can accomodate that. But I need to know what people want to do.

Also, is anyone planning on bringing larger lasers that will need 220V power, 3 phase power, or water cooling? If so, we may have to pay extra for a building services representative to be on-hand when we hook up the 3 phase power. Something to keep in mind. (So far noone has said anything about larger lasers...)

As of today the following people have expressed an interest in attending:

Astroguy
    Buffo
    Dzurcher
    MechEng3
    Spec
    Steve-o

I need a list of what sort of equipment you guys intend to bring. I'm going to bring my RGB projector, a small fog machine, a couple computers, and an 8-port ethernet switch. (Easy filesharing) I'll also bring a bunch of extension cords! It would be great if someone could bring one of the larger Antares automatic fog machines. (That worked great for FLEM!) Also, we probably need a sound system... And who else will be bringing lasers? (everyone?)

Adam

Oh boy! 6 people now- 4 to go. (Hopefully more)
    I'll be bringing a small 488nm 30mw argon (120v 10A) and a RGY projector if I can get it built in time (probably will). I can also bring two semi-large speakers, power-amp and CD or MP3 player if needed. I have some music (I don't know where everybody's tastes run along that direction) Pantera anyone? (kidding) Or hookup to someones laptop (I dont have one yet) I also have a motorized mirror-ball that we could put a static expanded beam on maybe? (Above eyeball level of course) I dont have a fog machine , I smoke some tho
    -no smoking buildings i guess...
    Should I put that ad up front now on the main page to generate interest or not -if it's awful looking?

Oh and your question- Probably arrive sat spend the nite and leave sun (I assume it'll be an all-hours party -late nite)
    Who's bringing the Everclear? :>
    Last edited by steve-o; 06-25-2007 at 07:05.

I revised and corrected spelling:
    Is this OK Y'all?

PhotonLexicon+PARI Observatory
    =Awsome Time!!!
    Located atop of the beautiful mountainous terrain of North Carolina, this previously NASA owned tracking station now Observatory is complete with telescopes, state of the art equipment, food and accomodations.

Grab your lasers and come on over!!! We'll have a Laserfest-blast-and-a-half!
    (but please hurry and sign up soon-they're booking up fast.)
    Included are gazings thru their telescopes!

Here's a live feed from their webcam!>
    http://campus.pari.edu/paricams/Main...in_campus.html
    Attached Images

oh man!
    too bad there isn't a webcam in the observatory.
    i could check out the gathering from here.

We could probably hook up something for those of you that can't make it.
    I'm not sure what Net-Meeting or something was mentioned one time?

Smile More info on SELEM at PARI

Hi Steve-o!

Great job on the promotional post. Jeez, I should hire you as our PR agent!

I sent David Clavier an e-mail explaining the types of things we'd need from him for SELEM. He said once he had all the details he could work up a price. He did mention that there could be extra fees associated with stargazing and such, because normally there aren't a lot of people there on the weekends. (oops!) But he also said that he would work with us on the cost.

Anyway, I attached a copy of the letter I sent to David to this post. You guys feel free to read it over and see if I missed anything. Hopefully I'll have an answer from David soon.

Adam
    Attached Files Attached Files

Great letter Adam!
    (I would remove the personal contact info from the public forum here tho-- y'know everyone in the world is allowed to view even without being a member of PL.)
    Looking forward to his response.

So I'll put the "flyer" up on the main page then I guess..

Sign me up for being there early Saturday morning. My wife has arranged for a shopping day there so we will be staying in a local hotel. I will have to leave the facility around midnight as I have duties Sunday. The only thing I will need is one 110Vac outlet,10 amp service. My sound system and smoke machine will all operate from the secured outlets of my power conditioner. I will bring "the laser table"....just big enough for the system to set atop. My sound system is a Sony tower surround type with two towers and a sub unit. It is old and does very well for me inside or out. Picked it up at an auction sale for $25 and works great. My blue laser has started the dying process. It was sent off this morning. Down to 127mW @ 4.92 volts. Was doing 258 after 15 min. warmup. Coatings are burned....who knows. I will try and get another projector going in the mean time. I am hoping to get the main unit back in action by then though.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Fantastic! Astronomy and lasers, might as well be at a planetarium! There's a good chance that I will be able to make this one. I am wondering about the lodging at the facility. I will probably plan on arriving friday night if that is possible. Also, are they ok with loud music? I have a pair of 300W speakers that I bought after blowing my cheapies at FLEM. I'm only driving them with a 150W amp and they are plenty loud. If somone has a 600W (300W per channel) amp then we'd be in better shape. I'm starting to get a bit excited about this, I'd say I would bring my scopes with me, but at an observatory I guess I wouldn't need them, though its probably very dark skies there, I may bring them anyway. Anything I can do to help make this happen, let me know!

David