View Poll Results: Which date(s) and which location would you prefer for SELEM 2007?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer Saturday, July 28th only at the Arts and Science center auditorium in Hickory, NC

0 0%
  • I prefer Saturday, Aug 11th and Sunday, Aug 12th at the PARI observatory near Brevard, NC

1 10.00%
  • I prefer Saturday, Aug 18th and Sunday, Aug 19th at the PARI observatory near Brevard, NC

4 40.00%
  • I'm not going; North Carolina is too far to travel for me

4 40.00%
  • I'm not going; Summertime is too busy and I can't get the time off

1 10.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is coming and where to go?

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

you could always give that guy in orlando 2000.00 to host it for you-
    go big or go home

Smile

Hi Paul!

Actually we considered holding it in Orlando again, but there were several people from places up north that wanted to attend but couldn't make the trip. So we settled on North Carolina for this one.

My mistake was putting all my eggs in one basket (re: using a private residence) for the venue. When that one guy dropped off the map, I was left with nothing. (Talk about scramble time!)

Now that PARI turns out to be an order of magnitude too expensive, it's scramble time again! Good thing I work well under pressure I guess.

But all this just goes to show how big a part you played in making FLEM happen. I keep saying it over and over, the *venue* is the critical part. Once that's nailed down, the rest is easy.

Adam

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    you could always give that guy in orlando 2000.00 to host it for you-

Talking

I knew that site was to good to be true.Heck i would have had a meeting there every weekend just to hang out.
    All is not lost though, first rule as a promoter is the show must go on-
    now- follow my instructions to the letter-
    1- get your laser rig up on ebay to get the cash you need.
    2- call the power company and have them place another transformer on your pole
    3- call a local special events company and have them place a air conditioned 20x20 wedding tent in your back yard.
    4- send the old lady to the mall for the weekend.

there you go - all set, feel free to thank me later-

orrr- have your bud king pango underwrite the whole affair for you. god knows he hasn't paid you enough in commissions-

excellent, let me know what else i can help you with

love peace and 10w40 grease
    go big or go home

hmmm, the apocalypse, end times, now this.. maybe i can make a trip to
    fatima to find out where this event will be.
    go big or go home

Lightbulb

ohhh yaaa, and what happened to that fair weather laser baiter D Zurchoff ?
    he stirs the pot, then the going gets tough and he disappears. If those blokes in the uk forum get that disco in southhampton we will hear about it,
    effinpots and nancy boys galore, a pisspot full of sixes and sevens-

you have to admit though flem was a good time-
    go big or go home

Cool

Yeah FLEM was a *great* time. That's why I'm going to make sure SELEM happens this summer.

RE: David Z - I think he's kinda busy these days. But he did shoot me an e-mail or two. I know he's psyched up about going to SELEM.

RE: a wedding tent with portable air conditioning... I actually considered portable A/C for one of our early venue choices. It was a large concrete block building with nothing but a bare concrete floor. Plenty of electrical power, but also plenty of windows and no working A/C.

We decided that it would be too expensive to try and cool the place, so we moved on.

Adam

Am I the furthest north? Don't go to any extra trouble..
    Actually I've been needing to visit me Mum (I've been reading too many of those UK posts again) She lives near Hilton Head. Any venues between here and there? That'd be near you Adam, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    ohhh yaaa, and what happened to that fair weather laser baiter D Zurchoff ?
    he stirs the pot, then the going gets tough and he disappears. If those blokes in the uk forum get that disco in southhampton we will hear about it,
    effinpots and nancy boys galore, a pisspot full of sixes and sevens-

you have to admit though flem was a good time-

Who's Zurchoff? Aint no disappearing act from me. You see Paul, some of us have REAL jobs, we don't get to play with lasers all day! I work in the corporate world, where there are more bean counters than there are boots on the ground actually making money for the business! And thanks for the defense, Buffo, yes I have been very busy recently and have had to travel to Atlanta so many freakin times this year that I now have to pay Georgia state tax... Makes me glad I live in Florida where there is no state tax...

I hate to hear that the Pari location is not going to work. It seemed to be the ideal place for such an event. Perhaps its for the best. Regarding the "blokes from the UK", hey we are still one up on them and have you, Clandestiny, to thank for it! But they do seem to be catching up fast...

David