View Poll Results: Which date(s) and which location would you prefer for SELEM 2007?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer Saturday, July 28th only at the Arts and Science center auditorium in Hickory, NC

0 0%
  • I prefer Saturday, Aug 11th and Sunday, Aug 12th at the PARI observatory near Brevard, NC

1 10.00%
  • I prefer Saturday, Aug 18th and Sunday, Aug 19th at the PARI observatory near Brevard, NC

4 40.00%
  • I'm not going; North Carolina is too far to travel for me

4 40.00%
  • I'm not going; Summertime is too busy and I can't get the time off

1 10.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who is coming and where to go?

Cool Here's one possible venue that's available... Comments?

Not to worry guys... I'm on the job.

Just got off the phone with Regge Helton at the "Newton-Conover Civic and Performance Center". It's an old school (complete with a nice auditorium) that was converted into a performing arts center. Recently renovated too.

Anyway, they've got a large auditorium (seats something like 500 + people) that they'd be willing to rent to us on Saturday, Aug. 18th and Sunday, Aug 19th. The stage area is huge; something like 30 ft by 45 ft. They've got a large floor-to-ceiling scrim (cyclorama) backstage that would be perfect for displaying graphics on. I think we could hold the entire event right there on the stage, but if we wanted to we could also place projectors out in the audience (or even on the balcony). They've also got a sound system we can use.

They have *NO PROBLEMS* with us using fog machines or hazers. They have used them 7 or 8 times in the past, and only once did it set off the fire alarm. In that one case, they simply acknowledged the alarm and called the monitoring company to tell them it was a false alarm. They will have a staff memeber present while we are in the building that will be able to do this again if we accidently set off the fire alarm with our foggers.

Now the important part: Cost! He quoted us a rate of $500 for the two days, plus an hourly fee of $10/hour for the one staff memeber that he has to pay to be there to babysit us. So assuming we're there for 12 hours on Saturday and 6 to 8 hours Sunday, we're talking a maximum cost of $700 for the weekend. Not exactly cheap, but it's a far cry from 3 grand...

He also said that we could come in early on Friday and set things up ahead of time. That way when we get started on Saturday we're all ready to go.

He even suggested opening the event to the public, and allowing any donations they made to go to the performing arts center, which could reduce our costs. I thought that such a move might open us up to CDRH issues, so I didn't really pursue it. At the very least, it would drastically increase our liability. Right now I'm not really crazy about opening this thing up to the general public, even in a sleepy town like Newton.

So, whatcha think, guys? Is this something we want to pursue, or should we be looking for something different?

We can also just do a 1-day event if everyone agrees to that. That would reduce the cost a lot. (Note that Reggie is giving us a pretty good discount though because we're booking 2 days. The normal rate is $400 per day + the $10 per hour labor fee.)

Adam

Sounds Good Adam.
    Is this it?
    http://www.the-green-room.org/index.html

Smile

HAHA! Well, yes and no.

"The Green Room" is the name of the performing arts troupe that uses the auditorium for their plays. But the actual auditorium is not called "The Green Room". It's the Newton-Conover Civic & Performing Arts Center.

Here is a link to the website for the Auditorium. Go to the "About us" page and scroll down and you'll see a picture of the auditorium BEFORE the renovation was done. According to Reggie there are no windows there now, and the place looks a lot better.

If we decide that this is a good place, I'll probably take a road trip up there and meet the guy and have a look around. (MechEng3 will probably meet me there.)

Adam

PS: I e-mailed Reggie (facility manager) and asked him about 3 phase power and water for cooling, just in case we can get some ion lasers to the event...
    Last edited by buffo; 06-27-2007 at 08:07.

Yeah large gas ions would be way-cool.
    I bet the place does look good now- even looks good in the pics- Roomy
    How many peops we got now goin' to attend? Any idea? Need a sign-up-sheet?

I have been smoking the phone lines and have turned a few leads on the cheap. May have a meeting room.....I am trying to pull out everything I can get to help make this meeting a reality. It would seem that a venue will open soon. The cost of this is getting beyond that of a not for profit club meeting. Adam PM sent........
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Cool

Hi Mike!

Thanks for the help. No doubt I could use it!

Got your PM... Your ideas sound great. Let me know if anything pans out! I especially like the fact that your options are cheaper than the venues I've been looking at. I mean, an auditorium would be nice and all, but it's really more space than we need. If we can get a 30 x 50 room for nearly nothing, that's probably the smart thing to do vs spending 500-700 bucks.

Steve-o:

Yeah, large frame ion lasers would be *way* cool. I've got one member that is pretty sure he can bring a Lexel 88 (like we had at FLEM), and possibly a krypton/argon whitelight laser too. Need to check on power availability and water cooling first though. 3 phase power would be best, but he said he's pretty sure he can fire both lasers off a single 50 amp 220 volt single phase outlet. (As in, the outlet that your kitchen stove runs off of.) Got an e-mail in to the guy at the auditorium in Newton asking about it...

Then too, Dreambeamz may be able to convince one of his business partners to bring some ion lasers too, if he can get in touch with them. But even so, he's still got that 1.7 watt solid state projector, which is *bright* as hell.

I figure we'll have a good collection of projectors, controllers, and lasers at the event no matter what. For sure we'll have more working projectors than we had at FLEM, and you saw how cool the FLEM videos looked...

Adam

as long as I can come, I have a lexel 88 I can bring that will run off 30 amps of single phase 220 and the 1.7 watt RGB

AWESOME!!
    Hope U can make it DB

Adam- where's the vid--I never got to see it.. (pc technical difficulties

Steve-o;

Easiest place is to go to Google Video and search for the phrase "FLEM LASER". You'll get 4 clips that are pretty cool.

You can also go to the PL FTP site and download them. (Either from Cruch's server or TL's server.) There are more clips on the FTP servers, but a lot of them are shorter - 90 seconds or so.

Adam

Thanks Adam!