Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I still think it's in the cards. I would compare it to mutually assured destruction, on the surface it seems stupid because there is no benefit to either party, but in reality several countries do keep a load of nukes even though actually using them is (hopefully) out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    I would compare it to mutually assured destruction, on the surface it seems stupid because there is no benefit to either party, but in reality several countries do keep a load of nukes even though actually using them is (hopefully) out of the question.
    Maybe I don't understand the analogy here. In nuclear deterrence you have two sides equally threatening each other. Here though you have only one side being a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by neskusen View Post
    Maybe I don't understand the analogy here. In nuclear deterrence you have two sides equally threatening each other. Here though you have only one side being a dick.
    No, here you would also have two sides equally threatening each other. Britain launching their nukes (leaving the EU) would trigger the EU to launch their nukes back (refusing them access to the market) resulting in just grief for both parties.

The other way around would be something like the EU launching their nukes (kicking britain out of the union) would result in britain launching their nukes in return (refusing the partake in their market), but that scenario is of course irrelevant in this case, it's just to complete the analogy.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Despite the massive political and media frenzy, do you folks honestly think the small, medium, and large businessmen, plus the bankers are going to let the politicians destroy a massive regional economy over Ideology/Idolatry ?... I think not. There will be collateral damage, but if Europe stays on this "migration" course terrorism, crime, and welfare spending will make it a far worse place.
    !
    The Brits spoke up.
    !
    Your witnessing what one of my Political Science professors long ago called "Atomization" theory. In the early 90s, she stated that the internet and increasing use of cell phones would break down social cohesion, and promote the rise of the individual over societal needs, with detrimental consequences. She predicted that most elections would become close to 50/50% because of a growing lack of group identity due to individualism. She was denied tenure because the "old school" Republicans and Democrats who ran the department scoffed at the idea that deep ideological separations would never go away. I bet she's laughing now, provided she landed into a teaching job. Smart lady with foresight.

!
    I got an "F" on an assignment where I predicted the internet, virtual reality, and a demand of institutional testing. plus the fact that schools always lag behind in technology would cause radical changes in Education after about 2000, and that too was in the 90s. OH, Dr. McLendon, I know your retired, but I demand you come back and change my grade, your class dragged my GPA way down... He had no imagination, either... I was wrong on one thing, I predicted students would be signing up to wear VR suits after school, and drop into another world electronically, complete with sexual overtones.
    !
    I missed the boat on that part, who would have thought that it would be handheld and have about eight square inches of surface area.. I called it a serious, time consuming, addiction.. I did get that right.

!
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-27-2016 at 04:27.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Well, its been a highly entertaining weekend, post-Brexit.

Cameron has left a poisoned chalice for his successors, especially in light of leavers now declaring they misused their vote to 'stick it to the man' not truly believing we would vote to leave. Note that I didn't say 'leave'.

Already, we are stalling, Boris saying nobody has to rush into anything, EU spokespeople are saying 'hurry up and get on with it', and Sturgeon talking that Scotland may be able to veto.
    And notwithstanding the fact parliament has to vote on the actual exit, with talks of 3/4 of politicians favouring a remain outcome anyway. Political suicide to vote against the electorate maybe, but given the changed views of a lot of people since Friday, and the incredibly narrow margin of win, not out of the question I don't think.

Sadly I think that any exit would hit those at the lower end of the socio-economic scale hardest - ironically, from the most vehement Leave areas.

Another terrible outcome of the result has been the rise in racist attacks (verbal and physical) by right wing people who feel that the result legitimises their viewpoint. And that they are sadly mistaken that the result is going to suddenly result in us deporting large sections of our communities. I suspect it could flair up even further when they realise its not going to be quite what they thought they were being promised.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Sadly I think that any exit would hit those at the lower end of the socio-economic scale hardest
    Why?

Already, we are stalling, Boris saying nobody has to rush into anything,
    Who in Brittan is rushing anything? The exit was supposed to take 2 years.

Rush vs stall. Both tactics to thwart the will of the people. They voted for a particular choice and now the move by those who lost or did not participate for a second referendum, Months ago, Cameron promised (when his party was ahead in the poles) either way, just one vote. Now, that his side lost, the call for a second referendum.

Look at all this wailing and gnashing of teeth. This was sold as a trade organization and so, why such a bitter fight to leave it? The answer is simple. It has morphed without the consent of the people into an unaccountable, foreign governing body. This was a pan European coup in the making. Remember Junkers was waiting for after the referendum to push for an EU army. Are you kidding, for a trade organization?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    the express is a pro ukip tabloid known for conspiracy theories and xenophobia / racism.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Maybe they are, but it looks like they have stumbled on to something alarming.

https://archive.is/eAE0d

http://static.presspublica.pl/red/rp/pdf/DokumentUE.pdf

Lololol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13524330_986883244758938_7477369625667657935_n.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	375.1 KB 
ID:	50220
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.